Bank Location and Financial Liberalization Reforms: Evidence from Microgeographic Data
We examine the effects of bank deregulation on the spatial dynamics of retail-bank branching, exploiting, much like a quasi-natural experiment, the context of intense liberalization reforms in Belgium in the late nineties. Using .ne-grained data on branch network dynamics within the metropolitan area of Antwerp and advancing novel spatial econometric techniques, we show that these liberalization reforms radically shifted and accelerated branch network dynamics. Entry and exit dynamics substantially intensified, the level change in financial void grew significantly, and bank choice markedly declined. Moreover, all these changes consistently extended (even with greater intensity) after the liberalization peak. However, the immediate and longer-term spatial ramifications of the financial sector liberalization were very distinct. All immediate changes systematically, differentially impacted the poorer and wealthier neighborhoods, disenfranchising the poorer neighbourhoods and favoring their wealthier counterparts. The longer-term effects on spatial patterns of change no longer exhibited this systematic relationship with neighborhood income. We draw out the policy implications of our findings.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.spatialeconomics.ac.uk/SERC/publications/default.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katja Seim, 2006. "An empirical model of firm entry with endogenous product‐type choices," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 619-640, 09.
- Alegria, Carlos & Schaeck, Klaus, 2008. "On measuring concentration in banking systems," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 59-67, March.
- Gual, Jordi, 1999. "Deregulation, Integration and Market Structure in European Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 2288, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Duranton, Gilles & Henry G Overman, 2003.
"Testing for Localisation Using Micro-Geographic Data,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
69, Royal Economic Society.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2005. "Testing for Localization Using Micro-Geographic Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 1077-1106.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2005. "Testing for localization using micro-geographic data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 581, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2002. "Testing for localisation using micro-geographic data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20071, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry Overman, 2002. "Testing for Localisation Using Micro-Geographic Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0540, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Duranton, Gilles & Overman, Henry G, 2002. "Testing for Localization Using Micro-Geographic Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3379, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gual, Jordi, 1999. "Deregulation, integration and market structure in European banking," IESE Research Papers D/397, IESE Business School.
- Degryse, Hans & Ongena, Steven, 2007.
"The impact of competition on bank orientation,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 399-424, July.
- Thaler, Richard H, 1990. "Saving, Fungibility, and Mental Accounts," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 193-205, Winter.
- Bresnahan, T.F & Reiss, P.C., 1989.
"Entry And Competition In Concentrated Markets,"
151, Stanford - Studies in Industry Economics.
- sutton, John, 1989. "Endogenous sunk costs and the structure of advertising intensive industries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 335-344, March.
- Francesca Arnaboldi & Peter Claeys, 2008. "Internet Banking in Europe: a comparative analysis," IREA Working Papers 200811, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Sep 2008.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2002.
"Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition,"
CSEF Working Papers
80, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2003. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," Discussion Paper 2003-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships and Competition," Discussion Paper 2002-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Vittoria Cerasi & Barbara Chizzolini & Marc Ivaldi, 2002. "Branching and competition in the European banking industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(17), pages 2213-2225.
- Evren Damar, H., 2007. "Does post-crisis restructuring decrease the availability of banking services? The case of Turkey," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2886-2905, September.
- Anselin, Luc & Hudak, Sheri, 1992. "Spatial econometrics in practice : A review of software options," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 509-536, September.
- Eric Marcon & Florence Puech, 2003. "Evaluating the geographic concentration of industries using distance-based methods," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(4), pages 409-428, October.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Philip & Wilson, John O.S. & Tavakoli, Manouche, 2007. "European banking: An overview," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1911-1935, July.
- Smith, Tony E. & Smith, Marvin M. & Wackes, John, 2008. "Alternative financial service providers and the spatial void hypothesis," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 205-227, May.
- A Leyshon & N Thrift, 1996. "Financial exclusion and the shifting boundaries of the financial system," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(7), pages 1150-1156, July.
- Sutton, John, 1996. "Technology and market structure," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 511-530, April.
- Michaela Draganska & Sanjog Misra & Victor Aguirregabiria & Pat Bajari & Liran Einav & Paul Ellickson & Dan Horsky & Sridhar Narayanan & Yesim Orhun & Peter Reiss & Katja Seim & Vishal Singh & Raphael, 2008. "Discrete choice models of firms’ strategic decisions," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 399-416, December.
- Gual, Jordi, 1999. "Deregulation, Integration, and Market Structure in European Banking," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 372-396, December.
- Lisa George & Joel Waldfogel, 2003. "Who Affects Whom in Daily Newspaper Markets?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(4), pages 765-784, August.
- Berry, Steven T, 1992. "Estimation of a Model of Entry in the Airline Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 889-917, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:sercdp:0058. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.