Should we redistribute in insolvency
The characterisation of a security interest as 'fixed' or 'floating' has generated much litigation in English courts. This is because a floating charge is subordinated by statute to other claims in the debtor's insolvency, whereas a fixed charge is not. This paper uses the example of the floating charge to argue that such statutory redistribution between claimants in corporate insolvency is generally undesirable.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julian Franks & Colin Mayer & Stefano Rossi, 2003.
"Ownership: Evolution and Regulation,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2003fe14, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Triantis, George G, 2000. "Financial Slack Policy and the Laws of Secured Transactions," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 35-69, January.
- Sheng-Syan Chen & Gillian H. H. Yeo & Kim Wai Ho, 1998. "Further Evidence on the Determinants of Secured versus Unsecured Loans," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3&4), pages 371-385.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1997.
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 661-691.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, "undated". "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," CRSP working papers 322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1996. "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barclay, Michael J & Smith, Clifford W, Jr, 1995. " The Priority Structure of Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(3), pages 899-917, July.
- Stanley D. Longhofer & Joao A.C. Santos, 2003. "The Paradox of Priority," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 32(1), Spring.
- Ivo Welch & Arturo Bris & Alan Schwartz, 2003.
"Who Should Pay for Bankruptcy Costs?,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm365, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Sep 2004.
- Berger, Allen N. & Udell, Gregory F., 1990.
"Collateral, loan quality and bank risk,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 21-42, January.
- Mark S. Carey & Mitchell A. Post & Steven A. Sharpe, 1996.
"Does corporate lending by banks and finance companies differ? Evidence on specialization in private debt contracting,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
96-25, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mark Carey & Mitch Post & Steven A. Sharpe, 1998. "Does Corporate Lending by Banks and Finance Companies Differ? Evidence on Specialization in Private Debt Contracting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 845-878, 06.
- Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Warner, Jerold B, 1979. "Bankruptcy, Secured Debt, and Optimal Capital Structure: Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 247-251, March.
- Elsas, Ralf & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 2002. "Collateral, relationship lending and financial distress: An empirical study on financial contracting," CFS Working Paper Series 2002/17, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Longhofer, Stanley D. & Santos, Joao A. C., 2000.
"The Importance of Bank Seniority for Relationship Lending,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 57-89, January.
- Stanley D. Longhofer & João A.C. Santos, 1998. "The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending," Working Paper 9808, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Stanley D. Longhofer & João A. C. Santos, 1999. "The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending," Proceedings 620, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- João A. C. Santos & Stanley D. Longhofer, 1998. "The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending," BIS Working Papers 58, Bank for International Settlements.
- Mian, Shehzad L & Smith, Clifford W, Jr, 1992. " Accounts Receivable Management Policy: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 169-200, March.
- Sris Chatterjee & Upinder S. Dhillon & Gabriel G. Ramirez, 1996. "Resolution of Financial Distress : Debt Restructurings via Chapter 11, Prepackaged Bankruptcies, and Workouts," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(1), Spring.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1990. "Contract Costs and Financing Decisions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(1), pages 71-91, January.
- Alan Schwartz, "undated". "A Normative Theory of Business Bankruptcy," American Law & Economics Association Annual Meetings 1037, American Law & Economics Association.
- Triantis, George G, 1992. "Secured Debt under Conditions of Imperfect Information," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 225-258, January.
- Scott, James H, Jr, 1977. "Bankruptcy, Secured Debt, and Optimal Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Diamond, Douglas W., 1993. "Seniority and maturity of debt contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-368, June.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- John Armour & Douglas Cumming, 2006. "The legislative road to Silicon Valley," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(4), pages 596-635, October.
- Fishlow, Albert, 1985. "Lessons from the past: capital markets during the 19th century and the interwar period," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(03), pages 383-439, June.
- Julian Franks & Oren Sussman, 2005. "Financial Distress and Bank Restructuring of Small to Medium Size UK Companies," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 65-96, 03.
- Cheol Park, 2000. "Monitoring and Structure of Debt Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2157-2195, October.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.