Does corporate lending by banks and finance companies differ? Evidence on specialization in private debt contracting
This paper establishes empirically that specialization in private-market corporate lending exists, adding a new dimension to the public vs. private debt distinctions now common in the literature on debt contracting and financial intermediation. Using a large database of individual loans, we compare lending by finance companies to that by banks. The evidence implies that it is intermediaries in general that are special in solving information problems, not banks in particular. But lending by the two types of institutions is not identical. Finance companies tend to serve observably riskier borrowers, especially highly leveraged borrowers, although banks and finance companies do compete across the spectrum of borrower risk. The evidence supports both regulatory and reputational explanations for this specialization and perhaps an explanation based on institutional differences in borrower monitoring and control. In passing, we shed light on various theories of debt contracting and intermediation and also present facts about finance companies, which have received little attention.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/fedsorder.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven A. Sharpe & Hien H. Nguyen, 1994.
"Capital market imperfections and the incentive to lease,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-5, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sharpe, Steven A. & Nguyen, Hien H., 1995. "Capital market imperfections and the incentive to lease," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 271-294.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1994.
"Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice between Bank Loans and Publicly Traded Debt,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 475-506.
- Chemmanur, T.J. & Fulghieri, P., 1992. "Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice Between Bank Loans and Publicity Traded Debt," Papers 92-24, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
- Kahan, Marcel & Tuckman, Bruce, 1993. "Private vs. Public Lending: Evidence from Covenants," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt1xw4w7sk, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Charles Calomiris & Mark Carey, 1994. "Loan market competition between foreign and U.S. banks: some facts about loans and borrowers," Proceedings 38, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon H. Kwan & Willard T. Carleton, 1995. "The role of private placement debt issues in corporate finance," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Flannery, Mark J., 1989. "Capital regulation and insured banks choice of individual loan default risks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 235-258, September.
- Eli M. Remolona & Kurt C. Wulfekuhler, 1992.
"Finance companies, bank competition, and niche markets,"
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sum, pages 25-38.
- Eli M. Remolona & Kurt Wulfekuhler, 1993. "Finance companies, bank competition and niche markets," Research Paper 9316, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Black, Fischer, 1975. "Bank funds management in an efficient market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 323-339, December.
- Berlin, Mitchell & Mester, Loretta J., 1992.
"Debt covenants and renegotiation,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 95-133, June.
- Donald G. Simonson, 1994. "Business Strategies: Bank Commercial Lending vs. Finance Company Lending," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_112, Levy Economics Institute.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V & Udell, Gregory F, 1991. "Secured Lending and Default Risk: Equilibrium Analysis, Policy Implications and Empirical Results," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 458-72, May.
- Berger, Allen N. & Udell, Gregory F., 1990.
"Collateral, loan quality and bank risk,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 21-42, January.
- Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason, 1990.
"Do Firms Care Who Provides Their Financing?,"
in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 63-104
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stulz, ReneM. & Johnson, Herb, 1985. "An analysis of secured debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 501-521, December.
- Leonard I. Nakamura, 1991. "Commercial bank information: implications for the structure of banking," Working Papers 92-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & Ronnie J. Phillips & L. Randall Wray, . "An Alternative in Small Business Finance, Community-Based Factoring Companies and Small Business Lending," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive 12, Levy Economics Institute.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgfe:96-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.