Performance, heterogeneity and managerial efficiency of African airports: the Nigerian Case
This paper analyzes unobserved managerial ability as factors affecting the performance of a representative sample of Nigerian airports by means of frontier models. The Alvarez, Arias and Greene (2004) frontier model is used. These airports are ranked according to their technical efficiency during the period 2003-2010 and homogenous and heterogeneous variables are disentangled in the cost function, which leads us to advise the implementation of common policies as well as policies by segments. Economic implications arising from the study are also considered.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics & Management, University of Lisbon, Rua Miguel Lupi 20, 1249-078 Lisboa, Portugal|
Phone: +351-213 925 800
Fax: +351-213 925 850
Web page: http://pascal.iseg.utl.pt/~cesa/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bazargan, Massoud & Vasigh, Bijan, 2003. "Size versus efficiency: a case study of US commercial airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 187-193.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Rowlands, Terry, 2008. "How to better identify the true managerial performance: State of the art using DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 317-324, April.
- William Greene, 2004.
"Distinguishing between heterogeneity and inefficiency: stochastic frontier analysis of the World Health Organization's panel data on national health care systems,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(10), pages 959-980.
- William Greene, 2003. "Distinguishing Between Heterogeneity and Inefficiency: Stochastic Frontier Analysis of the World Health Organization’s Panel Data on National Health Care Systems," Working Papers 03-10, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Wallsten, Scott & Kosec, Katrina, 2008. "The effects of ownership and benchmark competition: An empirical analysis of U.S. water systems," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 186-205, January.
- Yin-Fang Zhang & David Parker & Colin Kirkpatrick, 2008. "Electricity sector reform in developing countries: an econometric assessment of the effects of privatization, competition and regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 159-178, April.
- Zhang, Yin-Fang & Kirkpatrick, Colin & Parker, David, 2002. "Electricity Sector Reform in Developing Countries: An Econometric Assessment of the Effects of Privatisation, Competition and Regulation," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30593, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Zvi Griliches, 1957. "Specification Bias in Estimates of Production Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 39(1), pages 8-20.
- Mefford, Robert N, 1986. "Introducing Management into the Production Function," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 96-104, February.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-261, October.
- Yoshida, Yuichiro & Fujimoto, Hiroyoshi, 2004. "Japanese-airport benchmarking with the DEA and endogenous-weight TFP methods: testing the criticism of overinvestment in Japanese regional airports," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 533-546, November.
- Achim Czerny, 2006. "Price-cap Regulation of Airports: Single-till Versus Dual-till," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 85-97, 07.
- Andrew Chesher & J. M. C. Santos Silva, 2002. "Taste Variation in Discrete Choice Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 147-168.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Kaparakis, Emmanuel I & Miller, Stephen M & Noulas, Athanasios G, 1994. "Short-Run Cost Inefficiency of Commercial Banks: A Flexible Stochastic Frontier Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 875-893, November.
- Willam Greene, 2005. "Fixed and Random Effects in Stochastic Frontier Models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 7-32, 01.
- William Greene, 2002. "Fixed and Random Effects in Stochastic Frontier Models," Working Papers 02-16, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Hooper, P.G & Hensher, D.A, 1997. "Measuring total factor productivity of airports-- an index number approach," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 249-259, December.
- William Roy & Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2007. "Ownership, Contractual Practices and Technical Efficiency: The Case of Urban Public Transport in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00107375, HAL.
- Fung, Michael Ka Yiu & Wan, Ken Kai Hong & Hui, Yer Van & Law, Japhet Sebastian, 2008. "Productivity changes in Chinese airports 1995-2004," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 521-542, May.
- Yoshida, Yuichiro, 2004. "Endogenous-weight TFP measurement: methodology and its application to Japanese-airport benchmarking," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 151-182, March.
- Crew, Michael A & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 1996. "Incentive Regulation in the United Kingdom and the United States: Some Lessons," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-225, May.
- William Roy & Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2007. "Ownership, Contractual Practices and Technical Efficiency: The Case of Urban Public Transport in France," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 41(2), pages 257-282, May.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Talluri, Srinivas, 2004. "Performance based clustering for benchmarking of US airports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 329-346, June.
- Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Intra-Industry Trade and Market Structure in the Industrial Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 203-223, July.
- repec:wsi:serxxx:v:56:y:2011:i:04:n:s0217590811004419 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oum, Tae H. & Adler, Nicole & Yu, Chunyan, 2006. "Privatization, corporatization, ownership forms and their effects on the performance of the world's major airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 109-121.
- Basso, Leonardo J., 2008. "Airport deregulation: Effects on pricing and capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 1015-1031, July.
- Oum, Tae H. & Adler, Nicole & Yu, Chunyan, 2006. "Privatization, Corporatization, Ownership Forms and their Effects on the Performance of the World’s Major Airports," 47th Annual Transportation Research Forum, New York, New York, March 23-25, 2006 208026, Transportation Research Forum.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R, 1980. "The Relative Efficiency of Public and Private Firms in a Competitive Environment: The Case of Canadian Railroads," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 958-976, October.
- Chesher, Andrew D, 1984. "Testing for Neglected Heterogeneity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 865-872, July.
- Littlechild Stephen, 2003. "Reflections on Incentive Regulation," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(4), pages 1-27, December.
- Cornes,Richard, 1992. "Duality and Modern Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521336017, August.
- Julie Wulf, 2007. "AUTHORITY, RISK, AND PERFORMANCE INCENTIVES: EVIDENCE FROM DIVISION MANAGER POSITIONS INSIDE FIRMS -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 169-196, 03.
- Pestana Barros, Carlos & Dieke, Peter U.C., 2007. "Performance evaluation of Italian airports: A data envelopment analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 184-191. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cav:cavwpp:wp106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sónia da Silva Pina)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.