School and Residential Ethnic Segregation:An Analysis of Variations across England’s Local Education Authorities
Schools are central to the goals of a multi-cultural society, but their ability to act as arenas within which meaningful inter-cultural interactions take place depends on the degree to which students from various cultural backgrounds meet there. Using recently-released data on the ethnic composition of both schools and small residential areas, this paper explores not only the extent of ethnic segregation in England’s schools but also whether that segregation is greater than the underpinning segregation in the country’s residential areas. The results show greater segregation in schools – considerably so for primary schools and more so for some ethnic groups relative to others – than in neighbourhoods, patterns which have considerable implications for educational policy.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0117 33 10799
Fax: 0117 33 10705
Web page: http://www.bris.ac.uk/cmpo/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ash Amin, 2002. "Ethnicity and the multicultural city: living with diversity," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(6), pages 959-980, June.
- Michael Poulsen, 2002. "Plural Cities and Ethnic Enclaves: Introducing a Measurement Procedure for Comparative Study," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 229-243, 06.
- Simon Burgess & Deborah Wilson, 2004.
"Ethnic Segretation in England's Schools,"
079, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Simon Burgess & Ron Johnston & Deborah Wilson, 2003. "School segregation in multi-ethnic England," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 03/092, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Ron Johnston & Deborah Wilson & Simon Burgess, 2006.
"Ethnic segregation and educational performance at secondary school in Bradford and Leicester,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
06/142, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Ron Johnston & Deborah Wilson & Simon Burgess, 2007. "Ethnic segregation and educational performance at secondary school in Bradford and Leicester," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 39(3), pages 609-629, March.
- Ron Johnston & Deborah Wilson & Simon Burgess, 2005. "England's multiethnic educational system? A classification of secondary schools," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(1), pages 45-62, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bri:cmpowp:06/145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.