‘Sleep-Walking Towards Segregation’? The Changing Ethnic Composition of English Schools, 1997-2003 – an Entry Cohort Analysis
There has been considerable public debate recently in England regarding levels of segregation (and changes in those levels) not only by neighbourhood but also in schools. Little data are available to evaluate claims that such segregation has been increasing in the country’s schools. This paper uses a data set released by the Department for Education and Skills which indicates the ethnic identity for every student in the entry cohorts for all English primary and secondary schools between 1997-8 (for primary and secondary schools respectively) and 2003. Analysis indicates that there has been some increase in segregation levels in some cities, but only to the expected extent given the changing relative size of the ethnic minority populations there. Segregation is relatively high there, but has only increased if the minority groups’ share of the entry cohorts has been increasing.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2 Priory Road, Bristol, BS8 1TX|
Phone: 0117 33 10799
Fax: 0117 33 10705
Web page: http://www.bris.ac.uk/cmpo/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Cutler & Edward L. Glaeser & Jacob L. Vigdor, 1999.
"The Rise and Decline of the American Ghetto,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(3), pages 455-506, June.
- David M. Cutler & Edward L. Glaeser & Jacob L. Vigdor, 1997. "The Rise and Decline of the American Ghetto," NBER Working Papers 5881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, David & Vigdor, Jacob & Glaeser, Edward, 1999. "The Rise and Decline of the American Ghetto," Scholarly Articles 2770033, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ash Amin, 2002. "Ethnicity and the multicultural city: living with diversity," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(6), pages 959-980, June.
- Simon Burgess & Deborah Wilson, 2003. "Ethnic Segregation in England's Schools," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 03/086, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.