Network Centrality Measures and Systemic Risk: An Application to the Turkish Financial Crisis
In this paper, we analyze the performance of several network centrality measures in detecting systemically important financial institutions (SIFI) using data from the Turkish Interbank market during the financial crisis in 2000. We employ various network investigation tools such as volume, transactions, links, connectivity and reciprocity to gain a clearer picture of the network topology of the interbank market. We study the main borrower role of Demirbank in the crash of the banking system with network centrality measures which are extensively used in the network theory. This ex-post analysis of the crisis shows that centrality measures perform well in identifying and monitoring systemically important financial institutions which provide useful insights for financial regulations.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Natuk Birkan Hall, Bebek, 34342 İstanbul|
Phone: +90 (212) 359-6505
Fax: +90 (212) 287-2453
Web page: http://www.econ.boun.edu.tr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burak Saltoglu & Jon Danielsson, 2003.
"Anatomy of a Market Crash: A Market Microstructure Analysis of the Turkish Overnight Liquidity Crisis,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp456, Financial Markets Group.
- Jon Danielsson & Burak Saltoglu, 2003. "Anatomy of a market crash: a market microstructure analysis of the Turkish overnight liquidity crisis," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24855, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2008. "The role of banks in the Brazilian interbank market: Does bank type matter?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(27), pages 6825-6836.
- Daniel O. Cajueiro & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2007. "The role of banks in the Brazilian Interbank Market: Does bank type matter?," Working Papers Series 130, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Gai, Prasanna & Kapadia, Sujit, 2010. "Contagion in financial networks," Bank of England working papers 383, Bank of England.
- repec:sbe:breart:v:28:y:2008:i:2:a:1510 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dimitrios Bisias & Mark Flood & Andrew W. Lo & Stavros Valavanis, 2012. "A Survey of Systemic Risk Analytics," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 4(1), pages 255-296, October.
- Dimitrios Bisias & Mark Flood & Andrew W. Lo & Stavros Valavanis, 2012. "A Survey of Systemic Risk Analytics," Working Papers 12-01, Office of Financial Research, US Department of the Treasury.
- António Afonso & Pedro Gomes & Philipp Rother, 2011. "Short‐ and long‐run determinants of sovereign debt credit ratings," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, 01.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Kimmo Soramaki & Morten L. Bech & Jeffrey Arnold & Robert J. Glass & Walter E. Beyeler, 2006. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Staff Reports 243, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Monica Billio & Mila Getmansky & Andrew W. Lo & Loriana Pelizzon, 2010. "Econometric Measures of Systemic Risk in the Finance and Insurance Sectors," NBER Chapters,in: Market Institutions and Financial Market Risk National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Monica Billio & Mila Getmansky & Andrew W. Lo & Loriana Pelizzon, 2010. "Econometric Measures of Systemic Risk in the Finance and Insurance Sectors," NBER Working Papers 16223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Serafín Martínez-Jaramillo & Biliana Alexandrova-Kabadjova & Bernardo Bravo-Benítez & Juan Pablo Solórzano-Margain, 2012. "An Empirical Study of the Mexican Banking System's Network and its Implications for Systemic Risk," Working Papers 2012-07, Banco de México.
- Nier, Erlend & Yang, Jing & Yorulmazer, Tanju & Alentorn, Amadeo, 2007. "Network models and financial stability," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 2033-2060, June.
- Nier, Erlend & Yang, Jing & Yorulmazer, Tanju & Alentorn, Amadeo, 2008. "Network models and financial stability," Bank of England working papers 346, Bank of England.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2004. "Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: Is there a danger of contagion?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 827-849, August.
- Christian Upper & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: is there a danger of contagion?," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Marrying the macro- and micro-prudential dimensions of financial stability, volume 1, pages 211-229 Bank for International Settlements.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2002. "Estimating Bilateral Exposures in the German Interbank Market: Is there a Danger of Contagion?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Saltoglu, Burak & Yenilmez, Taylan, 2010. "Analyzing Systemic Risk with Financial Networks An Application During a Financial Crash," MPRA Paper 26684, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk, 2006. "Overnight borrowing, interest rates and extreme value theory," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 547-563, April.
- Faruk Selcuk & Ramazan Gencay, 2001. "Overnight Borrowing, Interest Rates and Extreme Value Theory," Working Papers 0103, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Li, Shouwei & He, Jianmin & Zhuang, Yaming, 2010. "A network model of the interbank market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(24), pages 5587-5593.
- Larry Eisenberg & Thomas H. Noe, 2001. "Systemic Risk in Financial Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 236-249, February.
- Gradojevic, Nikola & Gencay, Ramazan, 2008. "Overnight interest rates and aggregate market expectations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 27-30, July.
- Nikola Gradojevic & Ramazan GenÃ§ay, 2009. "Overnight Interest Rates and Aggregate Market Expectations," Working Paper Series 26_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Cocco, João F. & Gomes, Francisco J. & Martins, Nuno C., 2009. "Lending relationships in the interbank market," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 24-48, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)