The Dynamic Adjustment of a Transition Economy in the Early Stages of Transformation
This paper develops a model of a representative transition economy to explain the stylised facts of output declines and real exchange rate appreciation in the early stages of transformation. These facts can be explained by supply-side shocks, interest rate liberalisation or a reduction in core inflation. The policy implication is that price liberalisation in advance of financial liberalization and structural reform, including widespread privatisation of the production process, necessarily results in some temporary loss of output.
|Date of creation:||May 2003|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Macroeconomics, 2004, 26 (3), pp.547-561|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bankofgreece.gr|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Jacob A. Frenkel, 1991.
"From Centrally-Planned to Market Economies: The Road from CPE to PCPE,"
NBER Working Papers
3698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Guillermo Calvo, 1991. "From Centrally-Planned to Market Economies; The Road from CPE to PCPE," IMF Working Papers 91/17, International Monetary Fund.
- LÃ¡szlÃ³ Halpern & Charles Wyplosz, 1997. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(4), pages 430-461, December.
- Lionel Halpern & Charles Wyplosz, 1996. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 96/125, International Monetary Fund.
- Uribe, Martin, 1997. "Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 185-202, September.
- Martin Uribe, 1995. "Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers 509, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1977. "A Model of Exchange Rate Determination under Currency Substitution and Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 617-625, June.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1982. "Exchange Rate Dynamics and the Overshooting Hypothesis," NBER Working Papers 0832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joannes Mongardini & Johannes Mueller, 2000. "Ratchet Effects in Currency Substitution: An Application to the Kyrgyz Republic," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 1-3.
- Joannes Mongardini & Johannes Mueller, 1999. "Rachet Effects in Currency Substitution; An Application to the Kyrgyz Republic," IMF Working Papers 99/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Ashok Kumar Lahiri, 1991. "Money and Inflation in Yugoslavia," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 751-788, December.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Dimitri G. Demekas & Jonathan D. Ostry, 1993. "An Empirical Analysis of the Output Declines in Three Eastern European Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 1-31, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)