Coalition formation in international monetary policy games
It is well known from the analysis of monetary policy co-ordination of two countries that co-ordination often Pareto-dominates the outcome of the non-co-operative game. Hence both countries will have an incentive to form a union when it is certain that the other country will also join. However, in an n-country model, free-riding incentives restrict the size of a stable coalition to less then n countries. Since the coalition members are bound by the union's discipline, an outsider can successfully export inflation without fearing that the insiders will try to do the same. The formation of a large currency bloc is not sustainable since it would impose too much discipline on all participants. However, the co-existence of several smaller currency blocs may be a second-best solution to the free-riding problem of monetary policy co-ordination.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London, EC2R 8AH|
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- Willem H. Buiter & Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo A. Pesenti, 1995.
"A Center-Periphery Model of Monetary Coordination and Exchange Rate Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
5140, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo, 1995. "A Centre-Periphery Model of Monetary Coordination and Exchange Rate Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 1201, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W.H. Buiter & G Corsetti & P Pesenti, 1995. "A Center-Periphery Model of Monetary Coordination and Exchange Rate Crises," CEP Discussion Papers dp0246, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Marion Kohler, 1998. "Optimal currency areas and customs unions: are they connected?," Bank of England working papers 89, Bank of England.
- Hallet, Andrew Hughes & Braga, Carlos A. Primo & DEC, 1994.
"The new regionalism and the threat of protectionism,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1349, The World Bank.
- Hallett Andrew Hughes & Braga C. A. Primo, 1994. "The New Regionalism and the Threat of Protectionism," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 388-421, December.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B., 1982.
"Exchange intervention policy in a multiple country world,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 267-289, November.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri, 1981. "Exchange intervention policy in a multiple country world," International Finance Discussion Papers 174, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Claude d'Aspremont & Alexis Jacquemin & Jean Jaskold Gabszewicz & John A. Weymark, 1983.
"On the Stability of Collusive Price Leadership,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(1), pages 17-25, February.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1992.
"Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," Economics Working Papers 92-187, University of California at Berkeley.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," NBER Working Papers 3949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Casella, Alessandra, 1990.
"Participation in a Currency Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
395, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, Philippe, 1995. "Free-riding, convergence and two-speed monetary unification in Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1345-1364, August.
- Yi, Sang-Seung, 1997. "Stable Coalition Structures with Externalities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 201-237, August.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Grilli, Vittorio, 1993.
"On the Feasibility of a One- or Multi-Speed European Monetary Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
792, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Vittorio Grilli, 1993. "On the Feasibility of a One or Multi-Speed European Monetary Union," NBER Working Papers 4350, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Gray, Jo Anna, 1985. "Monetary Policy Games and the Consequences of Non-cooperative Behavior," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 547-64, October.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Dale W. Henderson, 1991. "Monetary Policy in Interdependent Economies: A Game-Theoretic Approach," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031787.
- Masson, Paul R & Taylor, Mark P, 1992. "Common Currency Areas and Currency Unions: An Analysis of the Issues," CEPR Discussion Papers 617, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1993.
"One Money or Many? On Analyzing the Prospects for Monetary Unification in Various Parts of the World,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
233213, University of California-Berkeley, Department of Economics.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1993. "One Money or Many? On Analyzing the Prospects for Monetary Unification in Various Parts of the World," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C93-030, University of California at Berkeley.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B. & Henderson, Dale W., 1988. "Is sovereign policymaking bad?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 93-140, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:92. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Media Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.