On the Feasibility of a One- or Multi-Speed European Monetary Union
This paper addresses two questions: (1) Is a twelve-country monetary union in Europe feasible? (2) Can monetary union be achieved in stages, i.e. with an initial group of countries going first, and later admitting the others? After examining several politico-economic arguments concerning problems of feasibility of the union, we conclude with a fair amount of scepticism concerning the multi-speed idea. We show that the final result of the monetary integration process depends on `how many speeds' Europe proceeds with. Our discussion of feasibility sheds some light on the political economy of the recent (Fall of 1992) turmoil in the monetary system of Europe.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alex Cukierman, 1992.
"Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, and Independence: Theory and Evidence,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031981, June.
- Cukierman Alex, 1992. "Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, And Independance: Theory And Evidence," Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines, De Gruyter, vol. 3(4), pages 10, December.
- Susan M. Collins & Francesco Giavazzi, 1992.
"Attitudes Towards Inflation and the Viability of Fixed Exchange Rates: Evidence From the EMS,"
NBER Working Papers
4057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan M. Collins & Francesco Giavazzi, 1993. "Attitudes toward Inflation and the Viability of Fixed Exchange Rates: Evidence from the EMS," NBER Chapters, in: A Retrospective on the Bretton Woods System: Lessons for International Monetary Reform, pages 547-586 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Collins, S.M. & Giavazzi, F., 1992. "Attitudes Towards Inflation and the Viability of Fixed Exchange Rates: Evidence from the EMS," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1592, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alesina, Alberto & Tabellini, Guido, 1988. "Credibility and politics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 542-550, March.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Grilli, Vittorio, 1991.
"The European Central Bank: Reshaping Monetary Politics in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
563, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Vittorio Grilli, 1991. "The European Central Bank: Reshaping Monetary Politics in Europe," NBER Working Papers 3860, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1985. "The Optimal Degree of Commitment to an Intermediate Monetary Target," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1169-89, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:792. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.