Aggregation of Space-Time Processes
In this paper we compare the relative efficiency of different methods of forecasting the aggregate of spatially correlated variables. Small sample simulations confirm the asymptotic result that improved forecasting performance can be obtained by imposing a priori constraints on the amount of spatial correlation in the system. We also show that ignoring spatial correlation, even when it is weak, leads to highly inaccurate forecasts.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published, Journal of Econometrics, 2004, 118, 7-26|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Bryan W. & Mariano, Roberto S., 1989. "Predictors in Dynamic Nonlinear Models: Large-Sample Behavior," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(03), pages 430-452, December.
- Bronars, Stephen G. & Jansen, Dennis W., 1987. "The geographic distribution of unemployment rates in the U.S. : A spatial-time series analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 251-279, November.
- Hall, Alastair R, 1994. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series with Pretest Data-Based Model Selection," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 461-70, October.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1980. "Predictions from ARMAX models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 365-374, April.
- M. H. Pesaran & R. G. Pierse & M. S. Kumar, 1988.
"Econometric Analysis of Aggregation in the Context of Linear Prediction Models,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
485, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Pierse, Richard G & Kumar, Mohan S, 1989. "Econometric Analysis of Aggregation in the Context of Linear Prediction Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 861-88, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521634809 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patrick E. Brown & Gareth O. Roberts & Kjetil F. K�resen & Stefano Tonellato, 2000. "Blur-generated non-separable space-time models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 847-860.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1980. "Long memory relationships and the aggregation of dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 227-238, October.
- Aigner, Dennis J & Goldfeld, Stephen M, 1974. "Estimation and Prediction from Aggregate Data when Aggregates are Measured More Accurately than Their Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(1), pages 113-34, January.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1986.
"Forecasting and conditional projection using realistic prior distribution,"
93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1983. "Forecasting and Conditional Projection Using Realistic Prior Distributions," NBER Working Papers 1202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhorst, J.P., 2000. "Dynamic models in space and time," Research Report 00C16, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- F Stetzer, 1982. "Specifying weights in spatial forecasting models: the results of some experiments," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 14(5), pages 571-584, May.
- Tobias, Justin & Zellner, Arnold, 2000.
"A Note on Aggregation, Disaggregation and Forecasting Performance,"
Staff General Research Papers
12024, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Zellner, Arnold & Tobias, Justin, 2004. "A Note on Aggregation, Disaggregation and Forecasting Performance," Staff General Research Papers 12371, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Pinkse, Joris & Slade, Margaret E., 1998. "Contracting in space: An application of spatial statistics to discrete-choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 125-154, July.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1987. "Implications of Aggregation with Common Factors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 208-222, April.
- Hirotugu Akaike, 1969. "Fitting autoregressive models for prediction," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 243-247, December.
- Kohn, Robert, 1982. "When is an aggregate of a time series efficiently forecast by its past?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 337-349, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boc:bocoec:582. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.