The relative influence of price and choice factors on retail deposit quantities
This study explores how price and non-price factors influence the quantity of retail deposits held by depository institutions. Price factors examined include the policy or base rate and retail deposit interest rates set by individual banks, and non-price factors include the branch network and the number of deposit accounts offered by individual banks. The analysis is undertaken for a sample of UK building societies over twenty three years using a disaggregated data set of instant access retail deposit accounts. The methodology uses a two stage econometric procedure involving system estimators in a panel framework using SUR and GMM to control for contemporaneous correlation and endogeneity concerns. Both price and non-price factors are significant influences of retail deposit quantities. We conclude risk assessment of retail deposit quantity and monetary policy transmission would benefit from considering price and non-price factors, rather than only price factors.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 1248 383648
Web page: http://www.bangor.ac.uk/business/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul S. Calem & Loretta J. Mester, .
"Consumer Behavior and the Stickiness of CreditCard Interest Rates,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
3-94, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Calem, Paul S & Mester, Loretta J, 1995. "Consumer Behavior and the Stickiness of Credit-Card Interest Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1327-36, December.
- Paul S. Calem & Loretta J. Mester, 1994. "Consumer Behavior and the Stickiness of Credit Card Interest Rates," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-14, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Paul S. Calem & Loretta J. Mester, 1995. "Consumer behavior and the stickiness of credit card interest rates," Working Papers 95-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Paul S. Calem & Loretta J. Mester, . "Consumer Behavior and the Stickiness of CreditCard Interest Rates," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 03-94, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Gropp, Reint, 2001.
"Bank Concentration and Retail Interest Rates,"
Working Paper Series
0072, European Central Bank.
- Emir Kamenica, 2008. "Contextual Inference in Markets: On the Informational Content of Product Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 2127-49, December.
- repec:ccp:journl:v:12:y:2002:i:4:p:449-456 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cornett, Marcia Millon & McNutt, Jamie John & Strahan, Philip E. & Tehranian, Hassan, 2011. "Liquidity risk management and credit supply in the financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 297-312, August.
- Martin Browning & Thomas F. Crossley, 2001.
"The lifecycle model of consumption and saving,"
IFS Working Papers
W01/15, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Martin Browning & Thomas F. Crossley, 2000. "The Life Cycle Model of Consumption and Saving," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 28, McMaster University.
- John K. Ashton & Robert Hudson, 2006.
"Interest Rate Clustering in UK Financial Services Markets,"
06-14, Centre for Competition Policy, University of East Anglia.
- Ashton, John K. & Hudson, Robert S., 2008. "Interest rate clustering in UK financial services markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1393-1403, July.
- Richard J. Rosen, 2003.
"Banking market conditions and deposit interest rates,"
Working Paper Series
WP-03-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Rosen, Richard J., 2007. "Banking market conditions and deposit interest rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3862-3884, December.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Elizabeth Kiser, 2002. "Predicting Household Switching Behavior and Switching Costs at Depository Institutions," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 349-365, June.
- Kalkbrener, Michael & Willing, Jan, 2004. "Risk management of non-maturing liabilities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1547-1568, July.
- Ferre De Graeve & Olivier De Jonghe & Rudi Vander Vennet, 2004. "The Determinants of Pass-Through of Market Conditions to Bank Retail Interest Rates in Belgium," Working Paper Research 47, National Bank of Belgium.
- Rocco Huang & Lev Ratnovski, 2009.
"The dark side of bank wholesale funding,"
09-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Bucks, Brian & Pence, Karen, 2008. "Do borrowers know their mortgage terms?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 218-233, September.
- Hyun Song Shin, 2009. "Reflections on Northern Rock: The Bank Run That Heralded the Global Financial Crisis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 101-19, Winter.
- Jarrow, Robert A. & van Deventer, Donald R., 1998. "The arbitrage-free valuation and hedging of demand deposits and credit card loans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 249-272, March.
- Carbo-Valverde, Santiago & Hannan, Timothy H. & Rodriguez-Fernandez, Francisco, 2011. "Exploiting old customers and attracting new ones: The case of bank deposit pricing," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 903-915.
- John K. Ashton & Stephen Letza, 2003. "The Differential Returns Offered by Mutually Owned and Proprietary UK Depository Institutions: 1993-2000," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 74(2), pages 183-204, 06.
- Canova, Luigina & Rattazzi, Anna Maria Manganelli & Webley, Paul, 2005. "The hierarchical structure of saving motives," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 21-34, February.
- Leo de Haan & Elmer Sterken, 2005.
"Asymmetric Price Adjustment in the Dutch Mortgage Market,"
DNB Working Papers
061, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Leo Haan & Elmer Sterken, 2011. "Bank-Specific Daily Interest Rate Adjustment in the Dutch Mortgage Market," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 145-159, June.
- Sugata Ghosh & Andros Gregoriou, 2008. "The composition of government spending and growth: is current or capital spending better?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 484-516, July.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980.
"The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., . "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP -412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tatiana Kirsanova & James Sefton, 2006.
"A Comparison of National Saving Rates in the UK, US and Italy,"
0612, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Kirsanova, Tatiana & Sefton, James, 2007. "A comparison of national saving rates in the UK, US and Italy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 1998-2028, November.
- Schmidt, Peter, 1990. "Three-stage least squares with different instruments for different equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 389-394, March.
- Abrantes-Metz, Rosa M. & Kraten, Michael & Metz, Albert D. & Seow, Gim S., 2012. "Libor manipulation?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 136-150.
- Richard Sheehan, 2013. "Valuing Core Deposits," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 197-220, April.
- Richard Rosen, 2002. "What Goes Up Must Come Down? Asymmetries and Persistence in Bank Deposit Rates," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 173-193, June.
- Gur Huberman & Wei Jiang, 2006. "Offering versus Choice in 401(k) Plans: Equity Exposure and Number of Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 763-801, 04.
- Ana-Maria Fuertes & Shelagh Heffernan & Elena Kalotychou, 2010. "How do UK Banks React to Changing Central Bank Rates?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 99-130, June.
- Ana-Maria Fuertes & Shelagh A. Heffernan, 2009. "Interest rate transmission in the UK: a comparative analysis across financial firms and products," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 45-63.
- Heffernan, Shelagh A, 1997. "Modelling British Interest Rate Adjustment: An Error Correction Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 211-31, May.
- Shafir, Eldar & Diamond, Peter & Tversky, Amos, 1997. "Money Illusion," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(2), pages 341-74, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Chong, Beng Soon, 2010. "Interest rate deregulation: Monetary policy efficacy and rate rigidity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1299-1307, June.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bng:wpaper:13006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Huw Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.