The perils of approximating fixed-horizon inflation forecasts with fixed-event forecasts
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Corbo, Vittorio & Landerretche, Oscar & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 2001.
"Assessing Inflation Targeting after a Decade of World Experience,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 343-368, October.
- Vittorio Corbo & Oscar Landerretche & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001. "Assessing Inflation Targeting after a Decade of World Experience," Working Papers 51, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- repec:cje:issued:v:50:y:2017:i:3:p:711-737 is not listed on IDEAS
- Siklos, Pierre L., 2013.
"Sources of disagreement in inflation forecasts: An international empirical investigation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 218-231.
- Pierre L. Siklos, 2012. "Sources of Disagreement in Inflation Forecasts: An International Empirical Investigation," CAMA Working Papers 2012-42, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Aaron Mehrotra & James Yetman, 2018.
"Decaying Expectations: What Inflation Forecasts Tell Us about the Anchoring of Inflation Expectations,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 14(5), pages 55-101, December.
- Aaron Mehrotra & James Yetman, 2014. "Decaying expectations: what inflation forecasts tell us about the anchoring of inflation expectations," BIS Working Papers 464, Bank for International Settlements.
- Kortelainen, Mika & Paloviita, Maritta & Viren, Matti, 2011. "Observed inflation forecasts and the new Keynesian macro model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 88-90, July.
- Sophocles Mavroeidis & Mikkel Plagborg-Møller & James H. Stock, 2014.
"Empirical Evidence on Inflation Expectations in the New Keynesian Phillips Curve,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 52(1), pages 124-188, March.
- Sophocles Mavroeidis & Mikkel Plagborg-Møller & James H. Stock, "undated". "Empirical Evidence on Inflation Expectations in the New Keynesian Phillips Curve," Working Paper 84656, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Mavroeidis, Sophocles & Plagborg-Moller, Mikkel & Stock, James H., 2014. "Empirical Evidence on Inflation Expectations in the New Keynesian Phillips Curve," Scholarly Articles 22795845, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kirdan Lees, 2016. "Assessing forecast performance," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 79, pages 1-19., June.
- Davies, Anthony & Lahiri, Kajal, 1995. "A new framework for analyzing survey forecasts using three-dimensional panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 205-227, July.
- Jonas Dovern & Ulrich Fritsche, 2008.
"Estimating Fundamental Cross-Section Dispersion from Fixed Event Forecasts,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
787, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jonas Dovern & Ulrich Fritsche, 2008. "Estimating fundamental cross-section dispersion from fixed event forecasts," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 200801, University of Hamburg, Department of Socioeconomics.
- Johnson, David R., 2002. "The effect of inflation targeting on the behavior of expected inflation: evidence from an 11 country panel," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 1521-1538, November.
- Ricardo Sousa & James Yetman, 2016. "Inflation expectations and monetary policy," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Inflation mechanisms, expectations and monetary policy, volume 89, pages 41-67 Bank for International Settlements.
- James Yetman, 2017.
"The evolution of inflation expectations in Canada and the US,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 50(3), pages 711-737, August.
- James Yetman, 2015. "The evolution of inflation expectations in Canada and the US," BIS Working Papers 523, Bank for International Settlements.
- Stefan Gerlach, 2007. "Interest Rate Setting by the ECB, 1999-2006: Words and Deeds," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 3(3), pages 1-46, September.
- Marcel Peter & Scott Roger & Geoffrey M Heenan, 2006. "Implementing Inflation Targeting; Institutional Arrangements, Target Design, and Communications," IMF Working Papers 06/278, International Monetary Fund.
- David Johnson, 2003. "The Effect of Inflation Targets on the Level of Expected Inflation in Five Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1076-1081, November.
- Carlos Capistrán & Manuel Ramos-Francia, 2010.
"Does Inflation Targeting Affect the Dispersion of Inflation Expectations?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(1), pages 113-134, February.
- Carlos Capistrán & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2007. "Does Inflation Targeting Affect the Dispersion of Inflation Expectations?," Working Papers 2007-11, Banco de México.
More about this item
Keywordsfixed-event forecasts; fixed-horizon forecasts; inflation expectations;
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CBA-2018-03-19 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FOR-2018-03-19 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2018-03-19 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2018-03-19 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:700. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/bisssch.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.