Generalised Trust and Relation Centrism for Corruption: Evidence from Low- and Middle-Income Countries
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Jakob Svensson, 2003.
"Who Must Pay Bribes and How Much? Evidence from a Cross Section of Firms,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(1), pages 207-230.
- Svensson, Jakob, 2000. "Who must pay bribes and how much? Evidence from a cross-section of firms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2486, The World Bank.
- Svensson, Jakob, 2002. "Who Must Pay Bribes and How Much? Evidence from a cross-section of firms," Seminar Papers 713, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Hellman, Joel S. & Jones, Geraint & Kaufmann, daniel, 2000. ""Seize the state, seize the day": state capture, corruption, and influence in transition," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2444, The World Bank.
- Jha, Chandan Kumar & Sarangi, Sudipta, 2017. "Does social media reduce corruption?," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 60-71.
- Jamie Collins & Klaus Uhlenbruck & Peter Rodriguez, 2009. "Why Firms Engage in Corruption: A Top Management Perspective," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 87(1), pages 89-108, June.
- Cheryl W. Gray & Daniel Kaufman, 1998. "Corruption and Development," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11545, The World Bank.
- Toke S. Aidt, 2009. "Corruption, institutions, and economic development," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 271-291, Summer.
- Du, Julan & Lu, Yi & Tao, Zhigang, 2008. "Economic institutions and FDI location choice: Evidence from US multinationals in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 412-429, September.
- Humphry Hung, 2008. "Normalized Collective Corruption in a Transitional Economy: Small Treasuries in Large Chinese Enterprises," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 69-83, April.
- Adnan Efendic & Geoff Pugh & Nick Adnett, 2011. "Confidence in formal institutions and reliance on informal institutions in Bosnia and Herzegovina," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(3), pages 521-540, July.
- Ruta Aidis & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2006. "Entrepreneurs, expectations and business expansion: Lessons from Lithuania," Europe-Asia Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 58(6), pages 855-880.
- La Porta, Rafael, et al, 1997. "Trust in Large Organizations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 333-338, May.
- Gerring, John & Thacker, Strom C., 2004. "Political Institutions and Corruption: The Role of Unitarism and Parliamentarism," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 295-330, April.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Johann Graf Lambsdorff, 2003. "How Corruption Affects Productivity," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 457-474, November.
- Mertzanis, Charilaos, 2019. "Family ties, institutions and financing constraints in developing countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 108(C).
- Harri, Ardian & Zhllima, Edvin & Imami, Drini & Coatney, Kalyn T., 2020. "Effects of subject pool culture and institutional environment on corruption: Experimental evidence from Albania," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 44(2).
- Esteban Alemán Correa & Michael Jetter & Alejandra Montoya Agudelo, 2016. "Corruption: Transcending Borders," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(2), pages 183-207, May.
- Herzfeld, Thomas & Weiss, Christoph, 2003. "Corruption and legal (in)effectiveness: an empirical investigation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 621-632, September.
- Donna Harris, 2007. "Bonding Social Capital and Corruption: A Cross-National Empirical Analysis," Environmental Economy and Policy Research Working Papers 27.2007, University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economics, revised 2007.
- Ismail Adelopo & Ibrahim Rufai, 2020. "Trust Deficit and Anti-corruption Initiatives," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 163(3), pages 429-449, May.
- Wang, Fangjun & Xu, Luying & Zhang, Junrui & Shu, Wei, 2018. "Political connections, internal control and firm value: Evidence from China's anti-corruption campaign," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 86(C), pages 53-67.
- Ralf Barkemeyer & Lutz Preuss & Marc Ohana, 2018. "Developing country firms and the challenge of corruption: Do company commitments mirror the quality of national-level institutions?," Post-Print hal-02390172, HAL.
- Madelijne Gorsira & Adriaan Denkers & Wim Huisman, 2018. "Both Sides of the Coin: Motives for Corruption Among Public Officials and Business Employees," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 151(1), pages 179-194, August.
- Ruben Enikolopov & Maria Petrova & Konstantin Sonin, 2018. "Social Media and Corruption," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 150-174, January.
- Estrin, Saul & Prevezer, Martha, 2010. "A survey on institutions and new firm entry: How and why do entry rates differ in emerging markets?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 289-308, September.
- Uberti, Luca J., 2018. "Corruption in transition economies: Socialist, Ottoman or structural?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 533-555.
- Simon Commander & Jan Svejnar, 2011. "Business Environment, Exports, Ownership, and Firm Performance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 309-337, February.
- Mushfiq us Swaleheen, 2007. "Corruption and Investment Choices: A Panel Data Study," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 601-616, November.
- Goel, Rajeev K. & Nelson, Michael A. & Naretta, Michael A., 2012. "The internet as an indicator of corruption awareness," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 64-75.
- Soo Tan & Siok Tambyah, 2011. "Generalized Trust and Trust in Institutions in Confucian Asia," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 103(3), pages 357-377, September.
- Christian Hauser, 2019. "Fighting Against Corruption: Does Anti-corruption Training Make Any Difference?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 159(1), pages 281-299, September.
- Barkemeyer, Ralf & Preuss, Lutz & Ohana, Marc, 2018. "Developing country firms and the challenge of corruption: Do company commitments mirror the quality of national-level institutions?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 26-39.
- Eric Osei-Assibey & Kingsley Osei Domfeh & Michael Danquah, 2018. "Corruption, institutions and capital flight: evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 45(1), pages 59-76, January.
- Anna Alon & Amy Hageman, 2013. "The Impact of Corruption on Firm Tax Compliance in Transition Economies: Whom Do You Trust?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 116(3), pages 479-494, September.
- Goldszmidt, Rafael G. Burstein & Brito, Luiz Artur Ledur & de Vasconcelos, Flávio Carvalho, 2011. "Country effect on firm performance: A multilevel approach," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 273-279, March.
- Tamat Sarmidi & Siong Hook Law & Yaghoob Jafari, 2014.
"Resource Curse: New Evidence on the Role of Institutions,"
International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1), pages 191-206, March.
- Sarmidi, Tamat & Siong Hook, Law & Jafari, Yaghoob, 2012. "Resource curse: new evidence on the role of institutions," MPRA Paper 37206, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bach Nguyen & Nguyen Phuc Canh, 2020. "The Effects of Regional Governance, Education, and In‐Migration on Business Performance," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 73(2), pages 291-319, May.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Malesky, Edmund J. & Nguyen, Thang V. & Bach, Thang N. & Ho, Bao D., 2020. "The effect of market competition on bribery in emerging economies: An empirical analysis of Vietnamese firms," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 131(C).
- Leonardo Becchetti & Luca Corazzini & Vittorio Pelligra, 2018. "We Can Be Heroes. Trust and Resilience in Corrupted Economic Environments," CEIS Research Paper 429, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 11 Apr 2018.
- Michael Breen & Robert Gillanders, 2012. "Corruption, institutions and regulation," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 263-285, September.
- Dzhumashev, Ratbek, 2014. "Corruption and growth: The role of governance, public spending, and economic development," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 202-215.
- Vu, Trung V., 2020. "Climate, Diseases, and the Origins of Corruption," MPRA Paper 97915, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Busch Rainer & Unger Alexander & Gassemi Karim & Papastamatelou Julie & May Christian, 2020. "Perception of formal and informal institutions by entrepreneurs in China, Morocco, and Germany – A cross-cultural pilot study," International Journal of Management and Economics, Warsaw School of Economics, Collegium of World Economy, vol. 56(4), pages 324-338, December.
- Michael Breen & Robert Gillanders & Gemma Mcnulty & Akisato Suzuki, 2017. "Gender and Corruption in Business," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 53(9), pages 1486-1501, September.
- Grießhaber, Nicolas & Geys, Benny, 2011. "Civic engagement and corruption in 20 European democracies," Discussion Papers, Research Professorship & Project "The Future of Fiscal Federalism" SP II 2011-103, WZB Berlin Social Science Center.
- Xu, Xixiong & Li, Yaoqin & Liu, Xing & Gan, Weiyu, 2017. "Does religion matter to corruption? Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 34-49.
- Jian Zhang, 2018. "Public Governance and Corporate Fraud: Evidence from the Recent Anti-corruption Campaign in China," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 375-396, March.
- Hanousek, Jan & Kochanova, Anna, 2015. "Bribery Environment and Firm Performance: Evidence from Central and Eastern European Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 10499, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brzić, Barbara & Dabić, Marina & Kukura, Frane & Podobnik, Boris, 2021. "The effects of corruption and the fraction of private ownership on the productivity of telecommunication companies," Technology in Society, Elsevier, vol. 65(C).
- Schumacher, Ingmar, 2013.
"Political stability, corruption and trust in politicians,"
Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 359-369.
- Ingmar Schumacher, 2012. "Political Stability, Corruption and Trust in Politicians," Working Papers hal-00763327, HAL.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Luca Corazzini & Vittorio Pelligra, 2021. "Trust and Trustworthiness in Corrupted Economic Environments," Games, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(1), pages 1-26, February.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & McGuinnness, Martina & Wood, Geoffrey & Bayyurt, Nizamettin, 2015. "Context, law and reinvestment decisions: Why the transitional periphery differs from other post-state socialist economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 955-965.
- Giorgio d’Agostino & Luca Pieroni, 2019. "Modelling Corruption Perceptions: Evidence from Eastern Europe and Central Asian Countries," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 311-341, February.
- Olmos, Lorena & Bellido, Héctor & Román-Aso, Juan A., 2020. "The effects of mega-events on perceived corruption," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C).
- Paunov C., 2014. "Democratizing intellectual property systems : how corruption hinders equal opportunities for firms," MERIT Working Papers 2014-077, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Xiong, Yan & Zhao, Yan, 2021. "Guanxi, media coverage and IPO approvals: Evidence from China," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 65(C).
- Ali, Merima & Fjeldstad, Odd‐Helge & Shifa, Abdulaziz B., 2020. "European colonization and the corruption of local elites: The case of chiefs in Africa," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 179(C), pages 80-100.
More about this item
KeywordsTrust; Relation Centrism; Corruption;
All these keywords.
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bir:birmec:21-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/debhauk.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Oleksandr Talavera (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/debhauk.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.