The decreasing returns on working time: An empirical analysis on panel country data
An empirical analysis is conducted on two panels of 18 OECD countries to test whether the elasticity of hourly productivity to working time is negative and decreasing with working time itself. If so, the decreasing returns on working time could be indicative of a fatigue effect that increases with working time. We find that the elasticity of productivity per hour to working time is negative and decreasing with working time, but its coefficient is not strongly significant. This study offers empirical support for the hypothesis of a fatigue effect that increases with working time, but with some reservations.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Banque de France 31 Rue Croix des Petits Champs LABOLOG - 49-1404 75049 PARIS|
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark E Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2006. "XTOVERID: Stata module to calculate tests of overidentifying restrictions after xtreg, xtivreg, xtivreg2, xthtaylor," Statistical Software Components S456779, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 05 Jan 2016.
- Renaud Bourlès & Gilbert Cette, 2006.
"A comparison of structural productivity levels in the major industrialised countries,"
OECD Economic Studies,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2005(2), pages 75-108.
- Bourlès, Renaud & Cette, Gilbert, 2005. "A comparison of structural productivity levels in the major industrialised countries," MPRA Paper 7330, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bourlès, R. & Cette, G., 2005. "A comparison of Structural Productivity Levels in the Major Industrialised Countries," Working papers 133, Banque de France.
- Ian Dew-Becker & Robert J. Gordon, 2008. "The Role of Labor Market Changes in the Slowdown of European Productivity Growth," NBER Working Papers 13840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dew-Becker, Ian & Gordon, Robert J, 2008. "The Role of Labour Market Changes in the Slowdown of European Productivity Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 6722, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Belorgey, N. & Lecat, R. & Maury, T-P., 2004. "Déterminants de la productivité par employé : une évaluation empirique en données de panel," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 121, pages 87-113.
- Bourles, Renaud & Cette, Gilbert, 2007. "Trends in "structural" productivity levels in the major industrialized countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 151-156, April.
- Bourlès, R. & Cette, G., 2006. "Trends in "structural" productivity levels in the major industrialized countries," Working papers 156, Banque de France.
- Christopher F Baum & Steven Stillman, 1999. "DMEXOGXT: Stata module to test consistency of OLS vs XT-IV estimates," Statistical Software Components S401103, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 18 Jun 2003. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)