Delegated Bargaining and Renegotiation
This paper examines the commitment effect of delegated bargaining when renegotiation of the delegation contract cannot be ruled out. We consider a seller who can either bargain face-to-face with a prospective buyer or hire an intermediary to bargain on her behalf. The intermediary is able to interrupt his negotiation with the buyer to renegotiate the delegation contract. In this model, the time cost of renegotiation prevents a full elimination of the commitment effect of delegation. In particular, there are always gains from delegation when the players are sufficiently patient. An extension of the basic model to a search market shows that the gains from delegation are negatively related to the efficiency of search.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
661465000000000387, David K. Levine.
- Michael L. Katz., 1991.
"Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments,"
Economics Working Papers
91-172, University of California at Berkeley.
- Michael L. Katz, 1991. "Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(3), pages 307-328, Autumn.
- Katz, Michael L., 1991. "Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt79b870w0, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Fershtman, C. & Kalai, E., 1993.
10-93, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Chaim Fershtman & Kenneth L Judd, 1984.
"Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly,"
642, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bester, H., 1994.
"A bargaining model of financial intermediation,"
1994-15, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bester, Helmut, 1994.
"Price commitment in search markets,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 109-120, September.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Wolinsky, Asher, 1985.
"Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1133-50, September.
- Arial Rubinstein & Asher Wolinsky, 1985. "Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining," Levine's Working Paper Archive 623, David K. Levine.
- Crawford, Vincent P, 1982. "A Theory of Disagreement in Bargaining," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 607-37, May.
- Chaim Fershtman & Kenneth L. Judd & Ehud Kalai, 1990.
"Observable Contracts: Strategic Delegation and Cooperation,"
879, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Judd, Kenneth L & Kalai, Ehud, 1991. "Observable Contracts: Strategic Delegation and Cooperation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 551-59, August.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bolton, Patrick, 1987. "Contracts as a Barrier to Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 388-401, June.
- Haller, Hans & Holden, Steinar, 1997. "Ratification Requirement and Bargaining Power," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(4), pages 825-51, November.
- Harold Houba & Wilko Bolt, 1997. "Strategic bargaining in the variable threat game," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(1), pages 57-77.
- Muthoo, Abhinay, 1996. "A Bargaining Model Based on the Commitment Tactic," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 134-152, April.
- repec:fth:harver:1519 is not listed on IDEAS
- Muthoo, Abhinay, 1992. "Revocable Commitment and Sequential Bargaining," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(411), pages 378-87, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bef:lsbest:007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XXX)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.