Nonlinearities in the dynamics of the euro area demand for M1
The paper finds evidence of non-linearities in the dynamics of the euro-area demand for the narrow aggregate M1. A long-run money demand relationship is first estimated over a sample period covering the last three decades. While the parameters of the relationship are jointly stable, there are indications of non-linearity in the residuals of the error-correction model. This non-linearity is explicitly modelled using a fairly general Markov switching error-correction model with satisfactory results. The empirical findings of the paper are consistent with theoretical predictions of non-linearities in the dynamics of adjustment to equilibrium stemming from "buffer stock" and "target-threshold" models and with analogous empirical evidence for European countries and the US.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur E. Gandolfi & James R. Lothian, 1983.
"International Price Behavior and the Demand for Money,"
in: The International Transmission of Inflation, pages 421-461
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gandolfi, Arthur E & Lothian, James R, 1983. "International Price Behavior and the Demand for Money," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(3), pages 295-311, July.
- Arthur E. Gandolfi & James R. Lothian, 1980. "International Price Behavior and the Demand for Money," NBER Working Papers 0602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William A. Barnett, 2004.
"Multilateral Aggregation-Theoretic Monetary Aggregation over Heterogeneous Countries,"
- Barnett, William A., 2007. "Multilateral aggregation-theoretic monetary aggregation over heterogeneous countries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 457-482, February.
- William Barnett, 2004. "Multilateral Aggregation-Theoretic Monetary Aggregation over Heterogeneous Countries," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200413, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2004.
- Livio Stracca, 2003.
"The Functional Form Of The Demand For Euro Area M1,"
University of Manchester, vol. 71(2), pages 172-204, 03.
- Stracca, Livio, 2001. "The functional form of the demand for euro area M1," Working Paper Series 0051, European Central Bank.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert, 1998.
"Regime Switches in Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
6508, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bierens, H.J., 1995.
"Nonparametric cointegration analysis,"
1995-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Camacho, Maximo, 2005. "Markov-switching stochastic trends and economic fluctuations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 135-158, January.
- Laidler, David, 1984. "The 'Buffer Stock' Notion in Monetary Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376a), pages 17-34, Supplemen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_690_08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.