Nonlinearities in the dynamics of the euro area demand for M1
The paper finds evidence of non-linearities in the dynamics of the euro-area demand for the narrow aggregate M1. A long-run money demand relationship is first estimated over a sample period covering the last three decades. While the parameters of the relationship are jointly stable, there are indications of non-linearity in the residuals of the error-correction model. This non-linearity is explicitly modelled using a fairly general Markov switching error-correction model with satisfactory results. The empirical findings of the paper are consistent with theoretical predictions of non-linearities in the dynamics of adjustment to equilibrium stemming from "buffer stock" and "target-threshold" models and with analogous empirical evidence for European countries and the US.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ehrmann, Michael & Ellison, Martin & Valla, Natacha, 2003.
"Regime-dependent impulse response functions in a Markov-switching vector autoregression model,"
Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 295-299, March.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Ellison, Martin & Valla, Natacha, 2001. "Regime-dependent impulse response functions in a Markov-switching vector autoregression model," Research Discussion Papers 11/2001, Bank of Finland.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Ehrmann-Ellison-Valla(2003) regime dependent impulse response," Statistical Software Components RTZ00177, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Livio Stracca, 2003.
"The Functional Form Of The Demand For Euro Area M1,"
University of Manchester, vol. 71(2), pages 172-204, 03.
- Stracca, Livio, 2001. "The functional form of the demand for euro area M1," Working Paper Series 0051, European Central Bank.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1997.
"Nonparametric cointegration analysis,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 379-404, April.
- William Barnett, 2004.
"Multilateral Aggregation-Theoretic Monetary Aggregation over Heterogeneous Countries,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200413, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2004.
- Barnett, William A., 2007. "Multilateral aggregation-theoretic monetary aggregation over heterogeneous countries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 457-482, February.
- William A. Barnett, 2011. "Multilateral Aggregation-Theoretic Monetary Aggregation over Heterogeneous Countries," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Financial Aggregation And Index Number Theory, chapter 6, pages 167-206 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- William A. Barnett, 2004. "Multilateral Aggregation-Theoretic Monetary Aggregation over Heterogeneous Countries," Macroeconomics 0412009, EconWPA.
- Ordonez, Javier, 2003. "Stability and non-linear dynamics in the broad demand for money in Spain," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 139-146, January.
- Arthur E. Gandolfi & James R. Lothian, 1983.
"International Price Behavior and the Demand for Money,"
in: The International Transmission of Inflation, pages 421-461
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gandolfi, Arthur E & Lothian, James R, 1983. "International Price Behavior and the Demand for Money," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(3), pages 295-311, July.
- Arthur E. Gandolfi & James R. Lothian, 1980. "International Price Behavior and the Demand for Money," NBER Working Papers 0602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ang, Andrew & Bekaert, Geert, 2002.
"Regime Switches in Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 163-182, April.
- Camacho, Maximo, 2005. "Markov-switching stochastic trends and economic fluctuations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 135-158, January.
- Laidler, David, 1984. "The 'Buffer Stock' Notion in Monetary Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376a), pages 17-34, Supplemen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_690_08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.