Shoe-leather costs reconsidered
It has recently been suggested by Robert Lucas that `shoe-leather' costs of inflation may amount to as much as 1% of GNP in the United States. This paper assesses the UK evidence for the period 1970-1994. Similar estimates to those of Lucas are found using his original specification, but a preferred functional form using a semi-log interest elasticity of demand for money reveals a 0.22 % of GNP gain in perpetuity following a sustained fall in nominal interest rates from 6% to 2%.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London, EC2R 8AH|
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Shiller, 1997.
"Why Do People Dislike Inflation?,"
in: Reducing Inflation: Motivation and Strategy, pages 13-70
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Breedon, F J & Fisher, P G, 1996.
"M0: Causes and Consequences,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 64(4), pages 371-87, December.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1981. "Towards an understanding of the costs of inflation: II," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 5-41, January.
- Max Gillman, 1995. "Comparing Partial And General Equilibrium Estimates Of The Welfare Cost Of Inflation," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(4), pages 60-71, October.
- Jag Chadha & Andrew Haldane & Norbert Janssen, 1998.
"Shoe-leather costs reconsidered,"
Bank of England working papers
86, Bank of England.
- Clive W. J. Granger & Jeffrey J. Hallman, 1988. "The algebra of I (1)," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 45, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ballard, Charles L & Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1985. "General Equilibrium Computations of the Marginal Welfare Costs of Taxes in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 128-38, March.
- Dotsey, Michael & Ireland, Peter, 1996.
"The welfare cost of inflation in general equilibrium,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 29-47, February.
- Michael Dotsey & Peter N. Ireland, 1994. "The welfare cost of inflation in general equilibrium," Working Paper 94-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Stanley Fischer & Lawrence H. Summers, 1989. "Should Nations Learn to Live With Inflation?," NBER Working Papers 2815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tower, Edward, 1971. "More on the Welfare Cost of Inflationary Finance," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 850-60, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Media Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.