The Sensitivity of Producer Prices to Exchange Rates: Insights from Micro Data
This paper studies the sensitivity of Canadian producer prices to the Canada-U.S. exchange rate. Using a unique product-level price data set, we estimate and analyze the impact of movements in the exchange rate on both domestic and export producer prices. First, we find that both domestic and export prices are sensitive to movements in the exchange rate. A one percent depreciation in Canadian dollar is associated with a 0.18 (0.25 conditional on price changes in the currency of pricing) percent increase in domestic prices, and a 0.39 (0.60 conditional on price changes in the currency of pricing) percent increase in export prices (once prices are converted into a single currency). Next, we find that there is an important difference in export price sensitivity to the exchange rate depending on the currency of pricing. Those Canadian producers that invoice their exported products in Canadian dollars do not adjust prices to movements in the exchange rate. Meanwhile, those invoicing in U.S. dollars increase their Canadian dollar prices when the Canadian dollar depreciates. Finally, for the same good sold in both the domestic and U.S. markets, the currency of pricing appears to play an important role in determining mark-up adjustment and the degree of pricing to market. These findings shed light on understanding the sources of incomplete exchange rate pass-through into import prices, as well as the indirect effect of the exchange rates on domestic prices through import competition and the use of imported inputs.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2008. "Five Facts about Prices: A Reevaluation of Menu Cost Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1415-1464, November.
- Marazzi, Mario & Sheets, Nathan, 2007. "Declining exchange rate pass-through to U.S. import prices: The potential role of global factors," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 924-947, October.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2005.
"State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does it Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?,"
NBER Working Papers
11043, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2008. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(3), pages 863-904, August.
- Oleksiy Kryvtsov & Peter J. Klenow, 2004. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter For Recent U.S. Inflation?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 277, Society for Computational Economics.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2005. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?," Working Papers 05-4, Bank of Canada.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2007. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?," Discussion Papers 07-007, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Bouakez, Hafedh & Rebei, Nooman, 2008. "Has exchange rate pass-through really declined? Evidence from Canada," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 249-267, July.
- Gita Gopinath & Oleg Itskhoki & Roberto Rigobon, 2007.
"Currency Choice and Exchange Rate Pass-through,"
NBER Working Papers
13432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wei Dong, 2010.
"The Role of Expenditure Switching in the Global Imbalance Adjustment,"
10-16, Bank of Canada.
- Dong, Wei, 2012. "The role of expenditure switching in the global imbalance adjustment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 237-251.
- Gita Gopinath & Oleg Itskhoki, 2010.
"Frequency of Price Adjustment and Pass-Through,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 125(2), pages 675-727, May.
- Pinelopi Goldberg & Rebecca Hellerstein, 2009.
"How Rigid Are Producer Prices?,"
1184, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:12-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.