Micro, macro, and strategic forces in international trade invoicing
We extend a standard New Keynesian model both to incorporate heterogeneity in spending opportunities along with two sources of (potentially time-varying) credit spreads and to allow a role for the central bank's balance sheet in determining equilibrium. We use the model to investigate the implications of imperfect financial intermediation for familiar monetary policy prescriptions and to consider additional dimensions of central bank policy--variations in the size and composition of the central bank's balance sheet as well as payment of interest on reserves--alongside the traditional question of the proper operating target for an overnight policy rate. We also study the special problems that arise when the zero lower bound for the policy rate is reached. We show that it is possible to provide criteria for the choice of policy along each of these possible dimensions within a single unified framework, and to achieve policy prescriptions that apply equally well regardless of whether financial markets work efficiently or not and regardless of whether the zero bound on nominal interest rates is reached or not.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.newyorkfed.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.ny.frb.org/rmaghome/staff_rp/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Bacchetta & Eric van Wincoop, 2002.
"A theory of the currency denomination of international trade,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
747, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bacchetta, Philippe & van Wincoop, Eric, 2005. "A theory of the currency denomination of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 295-319, December.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "A Theory of the Currency Denomination of International Trade," Working Papers 01.07, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- P. Bacchetta & E. van Wincoop, 2002. "A Theory of the Currency Denomination of International Trade," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 75, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Van Wincoop, Eric, 2002. "A theory of the currency denomination of international trade," Working Paper Series 0177, European Central Bank.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Eric van Wincoop, 2002. "A Theory of the Currency Denomination of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 9039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "A Theory of the Currency Denomination of International Trade," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 01.13, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Jean-Marie Viaene & Casper Vries, 1992. "On the design of invoicing practices in international trade," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 133-142, June.
- James E. Rauch, 1996.
"Networks versus Markets in International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
5617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Friberg, Richard & Wilander, Fredrik, 2008. "The currency denomination of exports -- A questionnaire study," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 54-69, May.
- Shabtai Donnenfeld & Alfred Haug, 2003. "Currency Invoicing in International Trade: an Empirical Investigation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 332-345, 05.
- Gita Gopinath & Oleg Itskhoki & Roberto Rigobon, 2010.
"Currency Choice and Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 304-36, March.
- Friberg, Richard, 1998. "In which currency should exporters set their prices?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 59-76, June.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Tille, Cédric, 2008.
"Vehicle currency use in international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 177-192, December.
- Novy, Dennis, 2006. "Hedge Your Costs: Exchange Rate Risk and Endogenous Currency Invoicing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 765, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fednsr:405. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.