The impact of Spanish pension reform on expenditure: A quick estimate
In this paper we present a preliminary estimate of the impact of the recent agreement between the Spanish government and the social partners to reform the public contributive pension system. After updating the projections of pension expenditure constructed in de la Fuente and DomÃƒÂ©nech (2010) for the period 2008-60, we analyze the impact on this variable of raising the retirement age from 65 to 67 years, extending from 15 to 25 years the period over which wages are averaged to calculate the starting pension and increasing from 35 to 37 the number of contribution years required to obtain a Ã¢â‚¬Å“full pension.Ã¢â‚¬ Conditional on a series of assumptions about the evolution of employment, productivity and demographics, our estimates suggest that these measures will reduce pension expenditure by up to two percentage points of GDP once the reforms have been fully implemented in 2027. On the other hand, the existing uncertainty about the future evolution of the relevant variables suggests that it would be desirable to bring forward in time the introduction of the periodic evaluation of the system (the so-called sustainability factor) so as to have in place a mechanism that can be used to modulate the rhythm and scope of the reform if the systemÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s financial situation requires it before the end of the transitional period.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angel de la Fuente, 2015.
"A Simple Model of Aggregate Pension Expenditure,"
Hacienda Pública Española,
IEF, vol. 212(1), pages 13-50, March.
- Angel de la Fuente, 2011. "A simple model of aggregate pension expenditure," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 871.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ángel de la Fuente, 2014. "A simple model of aggregate pension expenditure," Working Papers 2014-17, FEDEA.
- Angel De la Fuente, 2011. "A simple model of aggregate pension expenditure," Working Papers 1118, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Angel de la Fuente, 2011. "A Simple Model of Aggregate Pension Expenditure," Working Papers 553, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jimeno, Juan F. & Rojas, Juan A. & Puente, Sergio, 2008. "Modelling the impact of aging on social security expenditures," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 201-224, March.
- Juan F. Jimeno & Juan A. Rojas & Sergio Puente, 2006. "Modeling the impact of aging on social security expenditures," Occasional Papers 0601, Banco de España;Occasional Papers Homepage.
- Javier Alonso Meseguer & J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz, 2007. "Reforma de las pensiones: la experiencia internacional," Working Papers 2007-18, FEDEA. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)