Fiscal Decentralization in Colombia: A Work (Still) in Progress
The degree of fiscal decentralization in Colombia is impressive. In some respects, however, Colombian decentralization has hardly changed since the process first began over 40 years ago. This review of the experience of the last few decades and the challenges now facing the country shows that there have been some clear successes as a result of decentralization. However, many problems have also arisen as a result of both perverse incentives built into the system and the failure to build up central and especially local capacity to manage a more decentralized system. Unless these critical problems are resolved, fiscal decentralization in Colombia will remain a work in progress with, at best, only partially successful outcomes whether in terms of providing public services to the country’s growing population more effectively, efficiently, and equitably or in terms of improving subnational governance in general.
|Date of creation:||18 Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William A. Doebele & Orville F. Grimes & Johannes F. Linn, 1979. "Participation of Beneficiaries in Financing Urban Services: Valorization Charges in Bogotá, Colombia," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 55(1), pages 73-92.
- Richard M. Bird & Enid Slack (ed.), 2004. "International Handbook of Land and Property Taxation," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3304.
- Roy Bahl & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 2013.
"Sequencing Fiscal Decentralization,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(2), pages 641-687, November.
- Bahl, Roy & Martinez-Vazquez, Jorge, 2006. "Sequencing fiscal decentralization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3914, The World Bank.
- Ignacio Lozano & Jorge Ramos & Hernán Rincón, 2007. "Implicaciones Fiscales y Sectoriales de la Reforma a las transferencias Territoriales en Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002816, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Igancio Lozano & Jorge Ramos & Hernán Rincón, 2007. "Implicaciones Fiscales y Sectoriales de la Reforma a las Transferencias Territoriales en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 437, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Rafael Gómez R. & Mauricio Olivera & Mario A. Velasco R., 2009. "Implementing a subnational results-oriented management and budgeting system. Lessons from Medellín, Colombia," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 009074, FEDESARROLLO.
- Faguet, Jean-Paul & Sánchez, Fabio, 2008. "Decentralization's Effects on Educational Outcomes in Bolivia and Colombia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1294-1316, July.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006. "Decentralization´S Effects On Educational Outcomes In Bolivia And Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002255, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006. "Decentralization’S Effects On Educational Outcomes In Bolivia And Colombia," STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers 47, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006. "Decentralization’s effects on educational outcomes in Bolivia and Colombia," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2397, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jaime Bonet, 2006. "Desequilibrios regionales en la política de descentralización en Colombia," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL 002293, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Jaime Bonet Morón, 2006. "Desequilibrios regionales en la política de descentralización en Colombia," Documentos de trabajo sobre Economía Regional 77, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Agnese Sacchi, 2011. "Income inequality, regional disparities and fiscal decentralization in industrialized countries," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0142, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Enid Slack & Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura & José Miguel Fernández Güell & Eduardo Rojas & Richard Bird & Jeroen Klink & Christian Lefévre & Joan Subirats & Quim Brugué & Andrés Monzón & Alberto Etchegaray, 2005. "Governing the Metropolis: Principles and Cases," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 79939 edited by Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura & José Miguel Fernández Güell & Eduardo Rojas, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)