Fiscal Decentralization in Colombia: A Work (Still) in Progress
The degree of fiscal decentralization in Colombia is impressive. In some respects, however, Colombian decentralization has hardly changed since the process first began over 40 years ago. This review of the experience of the last few decades and the challenges now facing the country shows that there have been some clear successes as a result of decentralization. However, many problems have also arisen as a result of both perverse incentives built into the system and the failure to build up central and especially local capacity to manage a more decentralized system. Unless these critical problems are resolved, fiscal decentralization in Colombia will remain a work in progress with, at best, only partially successful outcomes whether in terms of providing public services to the country’s growing population more effectively, efficiently, and equitably or in terms of improving subnational governance in general.
|Date of creation:||18 Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006.
"Decentralization’S Effects On Educational Outcomes In Bolivia And Colombia,"
STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers
47, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Faguet, Jean-Paul & Sánchez, Fabio, 2008. "Decentralization's Effects on Educational Outcomes in Bolivia and Colombia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1294-1316, July.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006. "Decentralization’s effects on educational outcomes in Bolivia and Colombia," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2397, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006. "Decentralization´S Effects On Educational Outcomes In Bolivia And Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002255, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Jaime Bonet, 2006.
"Desequilibrios regionales en la política de descentralización en Colombia,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL
002293, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Jaime Bonet Morón, 2006. "Desequilibrios regionales en la política de descentralización en Colombia," Documentos de trabajo sobre Economía Regional 77, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ignacio Lozano & Jorge Ramos & Hernán Rincón, 2007.
"Implicaciones Fiscales y Sectoriales de la Reforma a las transferencias Territoriales en Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002816, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Igancio Lozano & Jorge Ramos & Hernán Rincón, "undated". "Implicaciones Fiscales y Sectoriales de la Reforma a las Transferencias Territoriales en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 437, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Enid Slack & Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura & José Miguel Fernández Güell & Eduardo Rojas & Richard Bird & Jeroen Klink & Christian Lefévre & Joan Subirats & Quim Brugué & Andrés Monzón & Alberto Etchegaray, 2005. "Governing the Metropolis: Principles and Cases," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 79939 edited by Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura & José Miguel Fernández Güell & Eduardo Rojas, May.
- William A. Doebele & Orville F. Grimes & Johannes F. Linn, 1979. "Participation of Beneficiaries in Financing Urban Services: Valorization Charges in Bogotá, Colombia," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 55(1), pages 73-92.
- Bahl, Roy & Martinez-Vazquez, Jorge, 2006.
"Sequencing fiscal decentralization,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3914, The World Bank.
- Richard M. Bird & Enid Slack (ed.), 2004. "International Handbook of Land and Property Taxation," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3304.
- Rafael Gómez R. & Mauricio Olivera & Mario A. Velasco R., 2009. "Implementing a subnational results-oriented management and budgeting system. Lessons from Medellín, Colombia," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 009074, FEDESARROLLO.
- Agnese Sacchi, 2011. "Income inequality, regional disparities and fiscal decentralization in industrialized countries," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0142, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper1223. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.