Closing the Gap: Fiscal Imbalaces and Intergovernmental Transfers in Developed Federations
This paper discusses the concepts of vertical fiscal imbalance (the fiscal gap) and horizontal fiscal imbalance (equalization) and uses several statistics to measure these concepts for eight industrially developed federations: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, and the United States. Although the periods covered and the detail provided vary from country to country due to limitations in data availability, the overall coverage in this paper seems more complete and comparable than in previous studies. The paper also outlines briefly the types of intergovernmental fiscal transfers used to deal with fiscal imbalances in the eight countries under consideration. Although this account is necessarily highly condensed, given the complexity of transfer systems in most countries, the frequency with which changes are made, and the difficulty of obtaining complete information, it is nonetheless broadly accurate.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Bird, 2010.
"Taxation and Development,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
10150, The World Bank.
- Shankar, Raja & Shah, Anwar, 2003. "Bridging the Economic Divide Within Countries: A Scorecard on the Performance of Regional Policies in Reducing Regional Income Disparities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 1421-1441, August.
- Paul Bernd Spahn & Jan Werner, 2007. "Germany at the Junction Between Solidarity and Subsidiarity," Chapters, in: Fiscal Fragmentation in Decentralized Countries, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Antoni Castells, 2001. "The role of intergovernmental finance in achieving diversity and cohesion: the case of Spain," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(2), pages 189-206, April.
- Walter Hettich & Stanley L. Winer, 1986. "Vertical Imbalance in the Fiscal Systems of Federal States," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(4), pages 745-765, November.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese J. McGuire, 2002.
"Fiscal decentralization in Spain: An asymmetric transition to democracy,"
Economics Working Papers
866, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese J. McGuire, 2007. "Fiscal Decentralization in Spain: An Asymmetric Transition to Democracy," Chapters, in: Fiscal Fragmentation in Decentralized Countries, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Richard M Bird & François Vaillancourt, 2001.
"Fiscal arrangements for maintaining an effective state in Canada,"
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(2), pages 163-187, April.
- Richard M Bird & FranÃ§ois Vaillancourt, 2001. "Fiscal Arrangements for Maintaining an Effective State in Canada," Environment and Planning C, , vol. 19(2), pages 163-187, April.
- Richard A. Musgrave, 1961. "Approaches to a Fiscal Theory of Political Federalism," NBER Chapters, in: Public Finances: Needs, Sources, and Utilization, pages 97-134 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernd Huber & Christian Baretti & Karl Lichtblau, 2000. "A Tax on Tax Revenue. The Incentive Effects of Equalizing Transfers: Evidence from Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 333, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ebel, Robert D. & Yilmaz, Serdar, 2002. "On the measurement and impact of fiscal decentralization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2809, The World Bank.
- M G Rao & A Das-Gupta, 1995. "Intergovernmental transfers and poverty alleviation," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 13(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Antoni Castells, 2001. "The Role of Intergovernmental Finance in Achieving Diversity and Cohesion: The Case of Spain," Environment and Planning C, , vol. 19(2), pages 189-206, April.
- repec:ntj:journl:v:46:y:1993:i:no._2:p:207-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brennan,Geoffrey & Buchanan,James M., 1980.
"The Power to Tax,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521233293, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper0202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.