Soil heterogeneity, agricultural supply and land-use change: an application to biofuels production
Biofuels policies (blend mandate or tax credit) have impacts on food and energy prices, and on land-use. The magnitude of these effects depends on the market response to price, and thus on the agricultural supply curve, which, in turn, depends on the land availability (quantity and agronomic quality). To understand these relationship beyond marginal analysis, we develop a theoretical framework with an explicit representation of land heterogeneity. The elasticity of supply curve is shown to be non-constant. This influences the welfare economics of biofuel policies. This is due to the availability of new land of marginal quality. Biofuels policies have different impacts in different countries, depending on both their global land endowment and the position of the equilibrium on the non linear agricultural supply curve. Knowing this heterogeneity helps to refine welfare analysis.
|Date of creation:||26 Apr 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: BP 01, 78850 Thiverval Grignon|
Phone: 01 30 81 53 30
Fax: 01 30 81 53 68
Web page: http://www4.versailles-grignon.inra.fr/economie_publique_eng
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Llewelyn, Richard V. & Featherstone, Allen M., 1997. "A comparison of crop production functions using simulated data for irrigated corn in western Kansas," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 521-538, August.
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2010.
"Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(3), pages 789-802.
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp472, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Feng, Hongli & Babcock, Bruce, 2010. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," ISU General Staff Papers 201004070700001493, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Feng, Hongli & Babcock, Bruce A., 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12959, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Dietrich Vollrath, 2007. "Land Distribution and International Agricultural Productivity," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(1), pages 202-216.
- Antle, John & Capalbo, Susan & Mooney, Sian & Elliott, Edward & Paustian, Keith, 2003. "Spatial heterogeneity, contract design, and the efficiency of carbon sequestration policies for agriculture," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 231-250, September.
- Craig Bond & Y. Farzin, 2008. "Alternative Sustainability Criteria, Externalities, and Welfare in a Simple Agroecosystem Model: A Numerical Analysis," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(3), pages 383-399, July.
- Carlos Arnade & David Kelch, 2007. "Estimation of Area Elasticities from a Standard Profit Function," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), pages 727-737.
- Searchinger, Timothy & Heimlich, Ralph & Houghton, R. A. & Dong, Fengxia & Elobeid, Amani & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Tokgoz, Simla & Hayes, Dermot J. & Yu, Hun-Hsiang, 2008. "Use of U.S. Croplands for Biofuels Increases Greenhouse Gases Through Emissions from Land-Use Change," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12881, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & Rulon D. Pope, 2008. "Homogeneity and Supply," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(3), pages 606-612.
- Ian W. Hardie & Peter J. Parks, 1997. "Land Use with Heterogeneous Land Quality: An Application of an Area Base Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 299-310.
- David A. Hennessy, 2009. "Crop Yield Skewness Under Law of the Minimum Technology," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(1), pages 197-208.
- Keeney, Roman & Hertel, Thomas, 2008. "The Indirect Land Use Impacts of U.S. Biofuel Policies: The Importance of Acreage, Yield, and Bilateral Trade Responses," GTAP Working Papers 2810, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:apu:wpaper:2010/05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RÃ©gis Grateau)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.