The Neighbor is King: Customer Discrimination in the Housing Market
This paper provides a method to single out customer-based discrimination in the housing market. We build a matching model with ethnic externalities where landlords differ in the number of housing units they own within the same building. Multiple-dwelling landlords discriminate more often than single-dwelling landlords only if some tenants are prejudiced against the minority group. By testing the null hypothesis whereby minority tenants are equally likely to have a multiple-dwelling landlord, we can test whether there is customer discrimination or not. We run the test on French data and show evidence of customer discrimination in the rental market.
|Date of creation:||24 Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amse-aixmarseille.fr/en|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zenou,Yves, 2009.
"Urban Labor Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521698221, October.
- Andrew Hanson & Zackary Hawley, 2011.
"Do Landlords Discriminate in the Rental Housing Market? Evidence from an Internet Field Experiment in U.S. Cities,"
Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series
2011-05, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Hanson, Andrew & Hawley, Zackary, 2011. "Do landlords discriminate in the rental housing market? Evidence from an internet field experiment in US cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2-3), pages 99-114, September.
- Hanson, Andrew & Hawley, Zackary, 2011. "Do landlords discriminate in the rental housing market? Evidence from an internet field experiment in US cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 99-114.
- Gabriel Desgranges & Étienne Wasmer, 2000.
"Appariements sur le marché du logement,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 58, pages 253-287.
- Yinger, John, 1997. "Cash in Your Face: The Cost of Racial and Ethnic Discrimination in Housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 339-365, November.
- John Yinger, 1998. "Evidence on Discrimination in Consumer Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 23-40, Spring.
- John F. Kain, 1968. "Housing Segregation, Negro Employment, and Metropolitan Decentralization," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 82(2), pages 175-197.
- Judith Hellerstein & David Neumark & Melissa McInerney, 2007.
"Spatial Mismatch or Racial Mismatch?,"
07-16, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Kerwin Kofi Charles & Jonathan Guryan, 2008. "Prejudice and Wages: An Empirical Assessment of Becker's The Economics of Discrimination," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(5), pages 773-809, October.
- Romain Aeberhardt & Denis Fougère & Julien Pouget & Roland Rathelot, 2007.
"Wages and Employment of French Workers with African Origin,"
2007-36, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Romain Aeberhardt & Denis Fougère & Julien Pouget & Roland Rathelot, 2010. "Wages and employment of French workers with African origin," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 881-905, June.
- Aeberhardt, Romain & Fougère, Denis & Pouget, Julien & Rathelot, Roland, 2007. "Wages and Employment of French Workers with African Origin," IZA Discussion Papers 2898, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cutler, David & Vigdor, Jacob & Glaeser, Edward, 1999.
"The Rise and Decline of the American Ghetto,"
2770033, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ondrich, Jan & Stricker, Alex & Yinger, John, 1999. "Do Landlords Discriminate? The Incidence and Causes of Racial Discrimination in Rental Housing Markets," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 185-204, September.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/8988 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bo Zhao & Jan Ondrich & John Yinger, 2005.
"Why Do Real Estate Brokers Continue to Discriminate? Evidence from the 2000 Housing Discrimination Study,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
67, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Zhao, Bo & Ondrich, Jan & Yinger, John, 2006. "Why do real estate brokers continue to discriminate? Evidence from the 2000 Housing Discrimination Study," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 394-419, May.
- Kevin Lang, 2007. "Introduction to Poverty and Discrimination," Introductory Chapters, in: Poverty and Discrimination Princeton University Press.
- Uri Gneezy & John List & Michael K. Price, 2012.
"Toward an Understanding of Why People Discriminate: Evidence from a Series of Natural Field Experiments,"
NBER Working Papers
17855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Uri Gneezy & John List & Michael Price, 2012. "Toward an Understanding of Why People Discriminate: Evidence from a Series of Natural Field Experiments," Natural Field Experiments 00592, The Field Experiments Website.
- David Card & Alexandre Mas & Jesse Rothstein, 2007.
"Tipping and the Dynamics of Segregation,"
NBER Working Papers
13052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen L. Ross, 2008. "Understanding Racial Segregation: What is known about the Effect of Housing Discrimination," Working papers 2008-15, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- King, A Thomas & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1973. "Racial Discrimination, Segregation, and the Price of Housing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 590-606, May-June.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58:p:11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ahmed, Ali M. & Hammarstedt, Mats, 2008. "Discrimination in the rental housing market: A field experiment on the Internet," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 362-372, September.
- Gary A. Dymski, 2006. "Discrimination in the Credit and Housing Markets: Findings and Challenges," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Economics of Discrimination, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2012:i:107-108:p:3 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aim:wpaimx:1224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yves Doazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.