Ethnic Unemployment Rates and Frictional Markets
The unemployment rate in France is roughly 6 percentage points higher for African immigrants than for natives. In the US the unemployment rate is approximately 9 percentage points higher for blacks than for whites. Commute time data indicates that minorities face longer commute times to work, potentially reflecting more difficult access to jobs. In this paper we investigate the impact of spatial mismatch on the unemployment rate of ethnic groups using the matching model proposed by Rupert and Wasmer (2012). We find that spatial factors explain between 1 to 1.5 percentage points of the unemployment rate gap in both France and the US, amounting to 17% to 25% of the relative gap in France and about 10% in the US. Among these factors, differences in commuting distance plays the most important role. In France, though, longer commuting distances may be mitigated by higher mobility in the housing market for African workers. Overall, we still conclude that labor market factors remain the main explanation for the higher unemployment rate of Africans.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gautier, Pieter A. & Zenou, Yves, 2010.
"Car ownership and the labor market of ethnic minorities,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 392-403, May.
- Pieter A. Gautier & Yves Zenou, 2008. "Car ownership and the Labor Market of Ethnic Minorities," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-106/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gautier, Pieter A & Zenou, Yves, 2008. "Car Ownership and the Labour Market of Ethnic Minorities," CEPR Discussion Papers 7061, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gautier, Pieter A. & Zenou, Yves, 2008. "Car Ownership and the Labor Market of Ethnic Minorities," IZA Discussion Papers 3814, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2012:i:107-108:p:3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Borjas, George J & Bronars, Stephen G, 1989.
"Consumer Discrimination and Self-employment,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 581-605, June.
- Rathelot, Roland, 2014.
"Ethnic differentials on the labor market in the presence of asymmetric spatial sorting: Set identification and estimation,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 154-167.
- Roland Rathelot, 2014. "Ethnic Differentials on the Labor Market in the Presence of Asymmetric Spatial Sorting : Set Identification and Estimation," Working Papers 2014-09, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Roland Rathelot, 2014. "Ethnic differentials on the labor market in the presence of asymmetric spatial sorting: Set identification and estimation," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1411, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Bruno Decreuse & Morgane Laouénan & Alain Trannoy, 2014.
"Customer discrimination and employment outcomes: Theory and evidence from the French labor market,"
Sciences Po publications
8150, Sciences Po.
- Pierre-Philippe COMBES & Bruno DECREUSE & Morgane LAOUENAN & Alain TRANNOY, 2013. "Customer Discrimination and Employment OUtcomes: Theory and Evidence from the French Labor Market," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2013016, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Decreuse, Bruno & Laouénan, Morgane & Trannoy, Alain, 2014. "Customer Discrimination and Employment Outcomes: Theory and Evidence from the French Labor Market," IZA Discussion Papers 8150, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Bruno Decreuse & Morgane Laouenan & Alain Trannoy, 2011. "Customer Discrimination and Employment Outcomes: Theory and Evidence from the French Labor Market," Working Papers halshs-00624435, HAL.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1999. "Unemployment Responses to 'Skill-Biased' Technology Shocks: The Role of Labour Market Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(455), pages 242-65, April.
- Brueckner, Jan & Zenou, Yves, 2000.
"Space And Unemployment: The Labour-Market Effects Of Spatial Mismatch,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2397, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Yves Zenou, 2003. "Space and Unemployment: The Labor-Market Effects of Spatial Mismatch," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 242-262, January.
- Phelps, Edmund S, 1972. "The Statistical Theory of Racism and Sexism," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 659-61, September.
- Zax, Jeffrey S & Kain, John F, 1996.
"Moving to the Suburbs: Do Relocating Companies Leave Their Black Employees Behind?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(3), pages 472-504, July.
- Zax, J.S. & Kain, J.F., 1991. "Moving to the Suburbs: Do Relocating Companies Leave Their Black Employees Behind?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1562, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Romain Aeberhardt & Denis Fougère & Julien Pouget & Roland Rathelot, 2007.
"Wages and Employment of French Workers with African Origin,"
2007-36, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Romain Aeberhardt & Denis Fougère & Julien Pouget & Roland Rathelot, 2010. "Wages and employment of French workers with African origin," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 881-905, June.
- Aeberhardt, Romain & Fougère, Denis & Pouget, Julien & Rathelot, Roland, 2007. "Wages and Employment of French Workers with African Origin," IZA Discussion Papers 2898, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Weinberg, Bruce A., 2000. "Black Residential Centralization and the Spatial Mismatch Hypothesis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 110-134, July.
- Judith Hellerstein & David Neumark & Melissa McInerney, 2007.
"Spatial Mismatch or Racial Mismatch?,"
07-16, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 2, number 9780226041162.
- Wasmer, Etienne & Zenou, Yves, 2002. "Does City Structure Affect Job Search and Welfare?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 515-541, May.
- Weinberg, Bruce A., 2004. "Testing the spatial mismatch hypothesis using inter-city variations in industrial composition," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 505-532, September.
- David T. Ellwood, 1986. "The Spatial Mismatch Hypothesis: Are There Teenage Jobs Missing in the Ghetto?," NBER Chapters, in: The Black Youth Employment Crisis, pages 147-190 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark, 2011. "Employment in Black Urban Labor Markets: Problems and Solutions," NBER Working Papers 16986, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lucas & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2002. "On the Internal Structure of Cities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1445-1476, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:9507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.