The neighbor is king: Customer discrimination in the housing market
This paper provides a way to detect customer-based discrimination in the housing market using survey data. We build a matching model with ethnic externalities where landlords differ in the number of housing units they own within the same neighborhood. In the event of customers' prejudice against the minority group, landlords who own several apartments discriminate more often than single-dwelling landlords because they internalize a higher negative externality on their probability to fill their other vacancies. Using the French National Housing Survey, we show that tenants with non-European origin are less likely to rent from a multiple-dwelling land- lord than other tenants. We then show that the proportion of multiple-dwelling landlords at the local level is positively correlated with the probability of non-Europeans to be living in public housing while this is not the case of other ethnic groups.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aeberhardt, Romain & Fougère, Denis & Pouget, Julien & Rathelot, Roland, 2007.
"Wages and Employment of French Workers with African Origin,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2898, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Romain Aeberhardt & Denis Fougère & Julien Pouget & Roland Rathelot, 2007. "Wages and Employment of French Workers with African Origin," Working Papers 2007-36, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- John Yinger, 1998. "Evidence on Discrimination in Consumer Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 23-40, Spring.
- Zenou,Yves, 2009.
"Urban Labor Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521875387, May.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Card & Alexandre Mas & Jesse Rothstein, 2007.
"Tipping and the Dynamics of Segregation,"
NBER Working Papers
13052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gabriel Desgranges & Etienne Wasmer, 2000.
"Appariements sur le Marché du Logement,"
- Stephen L. Ross, 2008. "Understanding Racial Segregation: What is known about the Effect of Housing Discrimination," Working papers 2008-15, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Hanson, Andrew & Hawley, Zackary, 2011.
"Do landlords discriminate in the rental housing market? Evidence from an internet field experiment in US cities,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 99-114.
- Hanson, Andrew & Hawley, Zackary, 2011. "Do landlords discriminate in the rental housing market? Evidence from an internet field experiment in US cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2-3), pages 99-114, September.
- Andrew Hanson & Zackary Hawley, 2011. "Do Landlords Discriminate in the Rental Housing Market? Evidence from an Internet Field Experiment in U.S. Cities," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2011-05, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Bo Zhao & Jan Ondrich & John Yinger, 2005.
"Why Do Real Estate Brokers Continue to Discriminate? Evidence from the 2000 Housing Discrimination Study,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
67, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Zhao, Bo & Ondrich, Jan & Yinger, John, 2006. "Why do real estate brokers continue to discriminate? Evidence from the 2000 Housing Discrimination Study," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 394-419, May.
- Judith Hellerstein & David Neumark & Melissa McInerney, 2007.
"Spatial Mismatch or Racial Mismatch?,"
07-16, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Romain Aeberhardt & Denis Fougère & Julien Pouget & Roland Rathelot, 2010. "Wages and employment of French workers with African origin," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 881-905, June.
- King, A Thomas & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1973. "Racial Discrimination, Segregation, and the Price of Housing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 590-606, May-June.
- Kevin Lang, 2007. "Introduction to Poverty and Discrimination," Introductory Chapters, in: Poverty and Discrimination Princeton University Press.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/8988 is not listed on IDEAS
- Uri Gneezy & John List & Michael K. Price, 2012.
"Toward an Understanding of Why People Discriminate: Evidence from a Series of Natural Field Experiments,"
NBER Working Papers
17855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Uri Gneezy & John List & Michael Price, 2012. "Toward an Understanding of Why People Discriminate: Evidence from a Series of Natural Field Experiments," Natural Field Experiments 00592, The Field Experiments Website.
- Kerwin Kofi Charles & Jonathan Guryan, 2008. "Prejudice and Wages: An Empirical Assessment of Becker's The Economics of Discrimination," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(5), pages 773-809, October.
- Cutler, David & Vigdor, Jacob & Glaeser, Edward, 1999.
"The Rise and Decline of the American Ghetto,"
2770033, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ondrich, Jan & Stricker, Alex & Yinger, John, 1999. "Do Landlords Discriminate? The Incidence and Causes of Racial Discrimination in Rental Housing Markets," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 185-204, September.
- Gary A. Dymski, 2006. "Discrimination in the Credit and Housing Markets: Findings and Challenges," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Economics of Discrimination, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Ahmed, Ali M. & Hammarstedt, Mats, 2008. "Discrimination in the rental housing market: A field experiment on the Internet," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 362-372, September.
- Yinger, John, 1997. "Cash in Your Face: The Cost of Racial and Ethnic Discrimination in Housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 339-365, November.
- John F. Kain, 1968. "Housing Segregation, Negro Employment, and Metropolitan Decentralization," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 82(2), pages 175-197.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58:p:11 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2012:i:107-108:p:3 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:1187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.