The Neighbor is King: Customer Discrimination in the Housing Market
This paper provides a method to single out customer-based discrimination in the housing market. We build a matching model with ethnic externalities where landlords differ in the number of housing units they own within the same building. Multiple-dwelling landlords discriminate more often than single-dwelling landlords only if some tenants are prejudiced against the minority group. By testing the null hypothesis whereby minority tenants are equally likely to have a multiple-dwelling landlord, we can test whether there is customer discrimination or not. We run the test on French data and show evidence of customer discrimination in the rental market.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00793403|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel Desgranges & Étienne Wasmer, 2000.
"Appariements sur le marché du logement,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 58, pages 253-287.
- John Yinger, 1998. "Evidence on Discrimination in Consumer Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 23-40, Spring.
- Kevin Lang, 2007. "Introduction to Poverty and Discrimination," Introductory Chapters, in: Poverty and Discrimination Princeton University Press.
- Ondrich, Jan & Stricker, Alex & Yinger, John, 1999. "Do Landlords Discriminate? The Incidence and Causes of Racial Discrimination in Rental Housing Markets," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 185-204, September.
- John F. Kain, 1968. "Housing Segregation, Negro Employment, and Metropolitan Decentralization," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 82(2), pages 175-197.
- David M. Cutler & Edward L. Glaeser & Jacob L. Vigdor, 1999.
"The Rise and Decline of the American Ghetto,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(3), pages 455-506, June.
- Cutler, David & Vigdor, Jacob & Glaeser, Edward, 1999. "The Rise and Decline of the American Ghetto," Scholarly Articles 2770033, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- David M. Cutler & Edward L. Glaeser & Jacob L. Vigdor, 1997. "The Rise and Decline of the American Ghetto," NBER Working Papers 5881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zenou,Yves, 2009.
"Urban Labor Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521698221, December.
- David Card & Alexandre Mas & Jesse Rothstein, 2007.
"Tipping and the Dynamics of Segregation,"
NBER Working Papers
13052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romain Aeberhardt & Denis Fougère & Julien Pouget & Roland Rathelot, 2010.
"Wages and employment of French workers with African origin,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 881-905, June.
- Aeberhardt, Romain & Fougère, Denis & Pouget, Julien & Rathelot, Roland, 2007. "Wages and Employment of French Workers with African Origin," IZA Discussion Papers 2898, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Romain Aeberhardt & Denis Fougère & Julien Pouget & Roland Rathelot, 2007. "Wages and Employment of French Workers with African Origin," Working Papers 2007-36, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark & Melissa McInerney, 2007.
"Spatial Mismatch or Racial Mismatch?,"
NBER Working Papers
13161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanson, Andrew & Hawley, Zackary, 2011.
"Do landlords discriminate in the rental housing market? Evidence from an internet field experiment in US cities,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(2-3), pages 99-114, September.
- Hanson, Andrew & Hawley, Zackary, 2011. "Do landlords discriminate in the rental housing market? Evidence from an internet field experiment in US cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 99-114.
- Andrew Hanson & Zackary Hawley, 2011. "Do Landlords Discriminate in the Rental Housing Market? Evidence from an Internet Field Experiment in U.S. Cities," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2011-05, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Zhao, Bo & Ondrich, Jan & Yinger, John, 2006.
"Why do real estate brokers continue to discriminate? Evidence from the 2000 Housing Discrimination Study,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 394-419, May.
- Bo Zhao & Jan Ondrich & John Yinger, 2005. "Why Do Real Estate Brokers Continue to Discriminate? Evidence from the 2000 Housing Discrimination Study," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 67, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2012:i:107-108:p:3 is not listed on IDEAS
- King, A Thomas & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1973. "Racial Discrimination, Segregation, and the Price of Housing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 590-606, May-June.
- Uri Gneezy & John List & Michael K. Price, 2012. "Toward an Understanding of Why People Discriminate: Evidence from a Series of Natural Field Experiments," NBER Working Papers 17855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yinger, John, 1997. "Cash in Your Face: The Cost of Racial and Ethnic Discrimination in Housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 339-365, November.
- Ahmed, Ali M. & Hammarstedt, Mats, 2008. "Discrimination in the rental housing market: A field experiment on the Internet," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 362-372, September.
- Gary A. Dymski, 2006. "Discrimination in the Credit and Housing Markets: Findings and Challenges," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Economics of Discrimination, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/8988 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58:p:11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stephen L. Ross, 2008. "Understanding Racial Segregation: What is known about the Effect of Housing Discrimination," Working papers 2008-15, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kerwin Kofi Charles & Jonathan Guryan, 2008. "Prejudice and Wages: An Empirical Assessment of Becker's The Economics of Discrimination," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(5), pages 773-809, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00793403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.