Effects Of Food Assistance And Nutrition Programs On Nutrition And Health: Volume 4, Executive Summary Of The Literature Review
This report provides a summary of a comprehensive review and synthesis of published research on the impact of USDA's domestic food and nutrition assistance programs on participants' nutrition and health outcomes. The outcome measures reviewed include food expenditures, household nutrient availability, dietary intake, other measures of nutrition status, food security, birth outcomes, breastfeeding behaviors, immunization rates, use and cost of health care services, and selected nonhealth outcomes, such as academic achievement and school performance (children) and social isolation (elderly). The report is one of four volumes produced by a larger study that includes Volume 1, Research Design; Volume 2, Data Sources; Volume 3, Literature Review; and Volume 4, Executive Summary of the Literature Review. The review examines the research on 15 USDA food assistance and nutrition programs but tends to focus on the largest ones for which more research is available: food stamps, school feeding programs, and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). Over half of USDA's budget - $41.6 billion in fiscal year 2003 - was devoted to food assistance and nutrition programs that provide low-income families and children with access to a healthy diet.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800|
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nord, Mark, 2005. "Measuring U.S. Household Food Security," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, April.
- repec:mpr:mprres:1683 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oliveira, Victor & Gundersen, Craig, 2000. "Wic And The Nutrient Intake Of Children," Food Assistance and Nutrition Research Reports 33803, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- St. Pierre, Robert G. & Cook, Thomas D. & Straw, Roger B., 1981. "An evaluation of the nutrition education and training program : Findings from Nebraska," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 4(3-4), pages 335-344, January.
- Philip M. Gleason & Carol W. Suitor, 2003. "Eating at School: How the National School Lunch Program Affects Children's Diets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 1047-1061.
- Buzby, Jean C. & Guthrie, Joanne F., 2004. "The USDA Fruit and Vegetable Pilot Program Evaluation," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33757, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- repec:mpr:mprres:1917 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:mpr:mprres:3414 is not listed on IDEAS
- Briefel, Ronette & Jacobson, Jonathan & Clusen, Nancy & Zavitsky, Teresa & Satake, Miki & Dawson, Brittany & Cohen, Rhoda, 2003. "The Emergency Food Assistance System - Findings From The Client Survey; Executive Summary," Food Assistance and Nutrition Research Reports 33861, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Hamilton, William L. & Rossi, Peter H., 2002. "Effects Of Food Assistance And Nutrition Programs On Nutrition And Health, Volume 1, Research Design," Food Assistance and Nutrition Research Reports 33805, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- repec:mpr:mprres:2630 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrea Carlson & Ben Senauer, 2003. "The Impact of the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children on Child Health," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 479-491.
- repec:mpr:mprres:3486 is not listed on IDEAS
- Craig Gundersen & Victor Oliveira, 2001. "The Food Stamp Program and Food Insufficiency," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 875-887.
- Huffman, Sonya Kostova & Jensen, Helen H., 2003. "Do Food Assistance Programs Improve Household Food Security?: Recent Evidence From The United States," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22219, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uersfa:33871. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.