The Conservation Reserve Program: Economic Implications for Rural America
This report estimates the impact that high levels of enrollment in the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) have had on economic trends in rural counties since the program's inception in 1985 until today. The results of a growth model and quasi-experimental control group analysis indicate no discernible impact by the CRP on aggregate county population trends. Aggregate employment growth may have slowed in some high-CRP counties, but only temporarily. High levels of CRP enrollment appear to have affected farm-related businesses over the long run, but growth in the number of other nonfarm businesses moderated CRP's impact on total employment. If CRP contracts had ended in 2001, simulation models suggest that roughly 51 percent of CRP land would have returned to crop production, and that spending on outdoor recreation would decrease by as much as $300 million per year in rural areas. The resulting impacts on employment and income vary widely among regions having similar CRP enrollments, depending upon local economic conditions.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800|
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, Lynn L. & Levins, Richard A., 1998. "Local Economic Impacts Of Conservation Reserve Program Enrollments: A Sub-County Analysis," Conference Papers 14486, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Reed, W. Robert & Rogers, Cynthia L., 2003. "A study of quasi-experimental control group methods for estimating policy impacts," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-25, January.
- Feather, Peter & Hellerstein, Daniel & Hansen, LeRoy T., 1999. "Economic Valuation of Environmental Benefits and the Targeting of Conservation Programs: The Case of the CRP," Agricultural Economics Reports 34027, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Parks, Peter J. & Schorr, James P., 1997. "Sustaining Open Space Benefits in the Northeast: An Evaluation of the Conservation Reserve Program," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 85-94, January.
- Graham Pyatt, 2001. "Some Early Multiplier Models of the Relationship between Income Distribution and Production Structure," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 139-163.
- Claassen, Roger & Hansen, LeRoy T. & Peters, Mark & Breneman, Vincent E. & Weinberg, Marca & Cattaneo, Andrea & Feather, Peter & Gadsby, Dwight M. & Hellerstein, Daniel & Hopkins, Jeffrey W. & Johnsto, 2001. "Agri-Environmental Policy at the Crossroads: Guideposts on a Changing Landscape," Agricultural Economics Reports 33983, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Hoag, Dana L. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Foster, William E., 1993.
"Field-Level Measurements of Land Productivity and Program Slippage,"
Staff General Research Papers
10586, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Dana L. Hoag & William E. Foster & Bruce A. Babcock, 1993. "Field-Level Measurement of Land Productivity and Program Slippage," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(1), pages 181-189.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Martin, Michael V. & Radtke, Hans & Eleveld, Bart & Nofziger, S. Dianne, 1988. "The Impacts Of The Conservation Reserve Program On Rural Communities: The Case Of Three Oregon Counties," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(02), December.
- Spreen, Thomas H., 2006. "Price Endogenous Mathematical Programming Models and Trade Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(02), August.
- Hodur, Nancy M. & Leistritz, F. Larry & Bangsund, Dean A., 2002. "Local Socioeconomic Impacts Of The Conservation Reserve Program," Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report 23551, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Stephan J. Goetz & Anil Rupasingha, 2002. "High-Tech Firm Clustering: Implications for Rural Areas," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1229-1236.
- Hoppe, Robert A. & Perry, Janet E. & Banker, David E., 2000. "ERS Farm Typology for a Diverse Agricultural Sector," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33657, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Bangsund, Dean A. & Leistritz, F. Larry & Hodur, Nancy M., 2002. "Rural Economic Effects Of The Conservation Reserve Program In North Dakota," Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report 23564, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- H. Fred Gale, 1993. "Why Did the Number of Young Farm Entrants Decline?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(1), pages 138-146.
- Bucholtz, Shawn & Roberts, Michael J., 2002. "Slippage Or Spurious Correlation: An Analysis Of The Conservation Reserve Program," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19714, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- McGranahan, David A., 1999. "Natural Amenities Drive Rural Population Change," Agricultural Economics Reports 33955, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Ribaudo, Marc O. & Heimlich, Ralph & Claassen, Roger & Peters, Mark, 2001. "Least-cost management of nonpoint source pollution: source reduction versus interception strategies for controlling nitrogen loss in the Mississippi Basin," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 183-197, May.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2000. "Evaluation methods for non-experimental data," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 21(4), pages 427-468, January.
- Stephan J. Goetz & David L. Debertin, 1996. "Rural Population Decline in the 1980s: Impacts of Farm Structure and Federal Farm Programs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 517-529.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uerser:33987. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.