Asset Storability And Hedging Effectiveness In Commodity Futures Markets
This paper examines risk minimization hedging effectiveness for major storable and nonstorable agricultural commodity futures markets. Based on the error correction model bivariate GARCH frameworks, some evidence is found that the hedging effectiveness is stronger for storable commodities than nonstorable commodities under consideration. The finding illustrates an important difference between storable and nonstorable commodities with regard to their hedging function.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 531 S College Ave, Newark, DE 19716|
Web page: http://ag.udel.edu/frec/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seung-Ryong Yang & B. Wade Brorsen, 1992. "Nonlinear Dynamics of Daily Cash Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(3), pages 706-715.
- Anil K. Bera & Philip Garcia & Jae-Sun Roh, 1997. "Estimation of Time-Varying Hedge Ratios for Corn and Soybeans: BGARCH and Random Coefficient Approaches," Finance 9712007, EconWPA.
- Peter S. Sephton, 1993. "Optimal Hedge Ratios at the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 175-193, February.
- Darbar, Salim M & Deb, Partha, 1997.
"Co-movements in International Equity Markets,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(3), pages 305-322, Fall.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- J. Marvin Skadberg & Gene A. Futrell, 1966. "An Economic Appraisal of Futures Trading in Livestock," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1485-1489.
- Seung‐Ryong Yang & B. Wade Brorsen, 1993. "Nonlinear dynamics of daily futures prices: Conditional heteroskedasticity or chaos?," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 175-191, 04.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Michael S. Haigh & Matthew T. Holt, 2000. "Hedging Multiple Price Uncertainty in International Grain Trade," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 881-896.
- Fleming, Jeff & Kirby, Chris & Ostdiek, Barbara, 1998. "Information and volatility linkages in the stock, bond, and money markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 111-137, July.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-124, April-Jun.
- Anne E. Peck, 1976. "Futures Markets, Supply Response, and Price Stability," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(3), pages 407-423.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:udelsp:15826. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.