Using Spatial Analysis to Study the Values of Variable Rate Technology and Information
We present a review of the last few years' literature on the economic feasibility of variable rate technology in agriculture. Much of the research on this topic has involved the estimation of site-specific yield response functions. Data used for such estimations most often inherently lend themselves to spatial analysis. We discuss the different types of spatial analyses that may be appropriate in estimating various types yield response functions. Then, we present a taxonomy for the discussion of the economics of precision agriculture technology and information. We argue that precision agriculture technology and information must be studied together since they are by nature economic complements. We contend that longer-term, multi-location agronomic experiments are needed for the estimation of ex ante optimal variable input rates and the expected profitability of variable rate technology and information gathering. We use our taxonomy to review the literature and its results with consistency and rigor.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hurley, Terrance M. & Oishi, Kikuo & Malzer, Gary L., 2005. "Estimating the Potential Value of Variable Rate Nitrogen Applications: A Comparison of Spatial Econometric and Geostatistical Models," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(02), August.
- Neil R. Miller, 2006. "Is Site-Specific Yield Response Consistent over Time? Does It Pay?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 471-483.
- Luc Anselin & Rodolfo Bongiovanni & Jess Lowenberg-DeBoer, 2004. "A Spatial Econometric Approach to the Economics of Site-Specific Nitrogen Management in Corn Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 675-687.
- Bullock, David S. & Lowenberg-DeBoer, Jess & Swinton, Scott M., 2002.
"Adding value to spatially managed inputs by understanding site-specific yield response,"
Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 233-245, November.
- Bullock, David S. & Lowenberg-DeBoer, Jess & Swinton, Scott M., 2002. "Adding value to spatially managed inputs by understanding site-specific yield response," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae06:25393. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.