Managing Phosphorous Soil Dynamics Over Space And Time
Understanding the relationship between soil fertility dynamics and crop response is conceptually appealing. Even more appealing is comprehension of the spatial and temporal heterogeneity of these connections over a production surface and across seasons. Knowledge of these interactions is complicated because nutrient carryover dynamics and crop response to inputs are determined simultaneously on the one-hand, and sequentially on the other. A second problem enters when crops are rotated, for example, in the corn-soybean system commonly practiced in the Corn Belt. This paper examines the nutrient carryover-crop response nexus using data from a corn-soybean, variable-rate nitrogen (N) and phosphorous (P) experiment conducted over five years. Site-specific corn response to N and P and soybean response to P are simultaneously estimated with a P carryover equation. These estimates are used in a dynamic programming model to map site-specific optimal N and P fertilizer policies, soil P evolution, and profitability. The net present value of managing N and P site-specifically is compared to a strategy where these inputs are managed uniformly following extension guidelines. The results suggest that when P-carryover is managed, site-specific returns to the variable-rate strategies are higher than returns to a conventional, uniform strategy.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bullock, David S. & Lowenberg-DeBoer, Jess & Swinton, Scott M., 2002.
"Adding value to spatially managed inputs by understanding site-specific yield response,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Bullock, David S. & Lowenberg-DeBoer, Jess & Swinton, Scott M., 2002. "Adding value to spatially managed inputs by understanding site-specific yield response," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 233-245, November.
- Alban Thomas, 2003. "A dynamic model of on-farm integrated nitrogen management," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 439-460, December.
- Luc Anselin & Rodolfo Bongiovanni & Jess Lowenberg-DeBoer, 2004. "A Spatial Econometric Approach to the Economics of Site-Specific Nitrogen Management in Corn Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 675-687.
- John O.S. Kennedy & I.F. Whan & R. Jackson & John L. Dillon, 1973. "Optimal Fertilizer Carryover And Crop Recycling Policies For A Tropical Grain Crop," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 17(2), pages 104-113, 08.
- Linda Whipker & jay Akridge, 2006. "2006 Precision Agricultural Services Dealership Survey Results," Working Papers 06-10, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul, 1999. "On Dynamic Arbitrage Pricing and Information: The Case of the US Broiler Sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(4), pages 493-510, December.
- LÃ©onard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992.
"Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521337465, October.
- LÃ©onard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992. "Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521331586, October.
- Kennedy, John O.S. & Whan, Ian F. & Jackson, R. & Dillon, John L., 1973. "Optimal Fertilizer Carryover And Crop Recycling Policies For A Tropical Grain Crop," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 17(02), pages -, August.
- Popp, Jennie S. Hughes & Griffin, Terry W., 2000. "Profitability Of Variable Rate Phosphorus In A Two Crop Rotation," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21806, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19452. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.