Potassium carryover dynamics and optimal application policies in cotton production
Information about soil nutrient carryover dynamics can assist cotton producers with the optimal management of potassium (K) fertilizer. Optimal K management promotes cotton plant health, may decrease input costs, and increases cotton lint yields. A dynamic programming model was developed to determine optimal K application rates and economic returns under different soil information scenarios based on cotton yield response to K fertilizer and fertilizer carryover estimates from a multi-year field trial. A Monte Carlo analysis was conducted to simulate the impact of stochastic input and lint prices and cotton yield on K management over a five-period planning horizon. Results suggest that soil test data could provide important information about K carryover potential, which may lead to more efficient fertilizer use and higher profit margins for cotton producers.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521331586 is not listed on IDEAS
- Segarra, Eduardo & Ethridge, Don E. & Deussen, Curtis R. & Onken, Arthur B., 1989. "Nitrogen Carry-Over Impacts In Irrigated Cotton Production, Southern High Plains Of Texas," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(02), December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521337465 is not listed on IDEAS
- John O.S. Kennedy & I.F. Whan & R. Jackson & John L. Dillon, 1973. "Optimal Fertilizer Carryover And Crop Recycling Policies For A Tropical Grain Crop," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 17(2), pages 104-113, 08.
- Hurley, Terrance M. & Oishi, Kikuo & Malzer, Gary L., 2005. "Estimating the Potential Value of Variable Rate Nitrogen Applications: A Comparison of Spatial Econometric and Geostatistical Models," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(02), August.
- Watkins, K. Bradley & Lu, Yao-Chi & Huang, Wen-Yuan, 1998. "Economic And Environmental Feasibility Of Variable Rate Nitrogen Fertilizer Application With Carry-Over Effects," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Park, Seong Cheol & Stoecker, Arthur L. & Hattey, Jeffory A. & Turner, Jason Clemn, 2007. "Long-Term Profitabiltiy Of Animal Manure Using Optimal Nitrogen Application Rate," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34830, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kennedy, John O.S., 1981. "An Alternative Method for Deriving Optimal Fertilizer Rates: Comment and Extension," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(03), December.
- Jomini, Patrick A. & Deuson, Robert R. & Lowenberg-DeBoer, J. & Bationo, Andre, 1991. "Modelling stochastic crop response to fertilisation when carry-over matters," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 97-113, December.
- Fisher, Brian S. & Lee, R.R., 1981. "A Dynamic Programming Approach to the Economic Control of Weed and Disease Infestations in Wheat," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(03), December.
- Hurley, Terrance M. & Kilian, Bernard & Malzer, Gary L. & Dikici, Huseyin, 2001. "The Value Of Information For Variable Rate Nitrogen Applications: A Comparison Of Soil Test, Topographical, And Remote Sensing Information," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20726, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Maine, Ntsikane & Nell, Wilhelm T. & Lowenberg-DeBoer, James & Alemu, Zerihun Gudeta, 2007. "Economic Analysis of Phosphorus Applications under Variable and Single-Rate Applications in the Bothaville District," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(4), December.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Bongiovanni, Rodolfo & Lowenberg-DeBoer, James, 2001. "Precision Agriculture: Economics Of Nitrogen Management In Corn Using Site-Specific Crop Response Estimates From A Spatial Regression Model," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20650, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chiarella Carl & Semmler Willi & Mittnik Stefan & Zhu Peiyuan, 2002. "Stock Market, Interest Rate and Output: A Model and Estimation for US Time Series Data," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-39, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:106:y:2012:i:1:p:84-93. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.