Production Response and Input Demand in Decision Making: Nitrogen Fertilizer and Wheat Growers
The use of economic analysis to aid farm input investment decisions has been contentious because of observed flatness of economic response in the region of the optimum input. In this paper an application of a crop simulation model, to specify the production response, in conjunction with production economic theory has been used to develop fertiliser input demand functions. These have been combined with return on investment criteria in a graphical presentation for wheat growers in making nitrogen fertilization decisions at a particular location. The approach provides objective information to which growers can apply their own subjective preferences in making fertilizer input decisions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Godden, David P. & Helyar, K.R., 1980. "An Alternative Method for Deriving Optimal Fertilizer Rates," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(02), August.
- McCown, R. L. & Hammer, G. L. & Hargreaves, J. N. G. & Holzworth, D. P. & Freebairn, D. M., 1996. "APSIM: a novel software system for model development, model testing and simulation in agricultural systems research," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 255-271.
- Pannell, David J. & Malcolm, Bill & Kingwell, Ross S., 2000.
"Are we risking too much? Perspectives on risk in farm modelling,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(1), June.
- Pannell, David J. & Malcolm, Bill & Kingwell, Ross S., 2000. "Are we risking too much? Perspectives on risk in farm modelling," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 69-78, June.
- Kennedy, John O.S., 1981. "An Alternative Method for Deriving Optimal Fertilizer Rates: Comment and Extension," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(03), December.
- Kennedy, John O.S. & Whan, Ian F. & Jackson, R. & Dillon, John L., 1973. "Optimal Fertilizer Carryover And Crop Recycling Policies For A Tropical Grain Crop," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 17(02), August.
- Richard K. Perrin, 1976. "The Value of Information and the Value of Theoretical Models in Crop Response Research," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 58(1), pages 54-61.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:auagre:126105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.