Climate Variability, Shocks and Non-farm Employment: Evidence from Rural Households in Northeast Thailand
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Huang, Jikun & Zhi, Huayong & Huang, Zhurong & Rozelle, Scott & Giles, John, 2011.
"The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Off-farm Employment and Earnings in Rural China,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 797-807, May.
- Huang, Jikun & Zhi, Huayong & Huang, Zhurong & Rozelle, Scott & Giles, John, 2010. "The impact of the global financial crisis on off-farm employment and earnings in rural China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5439, The World Bank.
- Beegle, Kathleen & Dehejia, Rajeev H. & Gatti, Roberta, 2006. "Child labor and agricultural shocks," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 80-96, October.
- Barrett, C. B. & Reardon, T. & Webb, P., 2001. "Nonfarm income diversification and household livelihood strategies in rural Africa: concepts, dynamics, and policy implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 315-331, August.
- Amare, Mulubrhan & Hohfeld, Lena & Jitsuchon, Somchai & Waibel, Hermann, 2012. "Rural–Urban Migration and Employment Quality: A Case Study from Thailand," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 309, Asian Development Bank.
- Fankhauser, Sam & Soare, Raluca, 2012. "Strategic adaptation to climate change in Europe," EIB Working Papers 2012/01, European Investment Bank (EIB).
- Smale, Melinda & Bellon, Mauricio R & Aguirre Gomez, Jose Alfonso, 2001. "Maize Diversity, Variety Attributes, and Farmers' Choices in Southeastern Guanajuato, Mexico," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(1), pages 201-225, October.
- Alex Bowen & Sarah Cochrane & Samuel Fankhauser, 2012. "Climate change, adaptation and economic growth," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 113(2), pages 95-106, July.
- Amare, Mulubrhan & Hohfeld, Lena & Jitsuchon, Somchai & Waibel, Hermann, 2012. "Rural–Urban Migration and Employment Quality: A Case Study From Thailand," Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, vol. 29(1), pages 57-79.
- Davis, Benjamin & Winters, Paul & Carletto, Gero & Covarrubias, Katia & Quiñones, Esteban J. & Zezza, Alberto & Stamoulis, Kostas & Azzarri, Carlo & DiGiuseppe, Stefania, 2010. "A Cross-Country Comparison of Rural Income Generating Activities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "The rural non-farm sector: issues and evidence from developing countries," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 1-23, October.
- Ward, Patrick S. & Shively, Gerald E., 2011. "Migration and Land Rental as Risk Response in Rural China," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103379, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Salvatore Di Falco & Mahmud Yesuf & Gunnar Kohlin & Claudia Ringler, 2012. "Estimating the Impact of Climate Change on Agriculture in Low-Income Countries: Household Level Evidence from the Nile Basin, Ethiopia," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 52(4), pages 457-478, August.
- Peter Warr, 2011. "Thailand’s Development Strategy and Growth Performance," WIDER Working Paper Series 002, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Amare, M. & Waibel, H., 2015. "Climate Variability, Shocks and Non-farm Employment: Evidence from Rural Household in Northeast Thailand," Proceedings “Schriften der Gesellschaft für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften des Landbaues e.V.”, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA), vol. 50, March.
- Nagler, Paula & Naudé, Wim, 2014. "Young Entrepreneurs in Rural Africa: Prevalence, Determinants, Productivity," IZA Discussion Papers 8564, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Musa Hasen Ahmed & Kumilachew Alamerie Melesse, 2018. "Impact of off-farm activities on technical efficiency: evidence from maize producers of eastern Ethiopia," Agricultural and Food Economics, Springer;Italian Society of Agricultural Economics (SIDEA), vol. 6(1), pages 1-15, December.
- Bezu, Sosina & Barrett, Christopher B., 2010.
"Activity Choice in Rural Non-farm Employment (RNFE): Survival versus accumulative strategy,"
55034, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bezu, Sosina & Barrett, Christopher B. & Holden, Stein, 2014. "Activity Choice in Rural Non-farm Employment (RNFE): Survival versus accumulative strategy," CLTS Working Papers 11/14, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, revised 10 Oct 2019.
- Nagler,Paula & Naude, Wim & Nagler,Paula & Naude, Wim, 2014. "Non-farm enterprises in rural Africa : new empirical evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7066, The World Bank.
- Johan Eyckmans & Sam Fankhauser & Snorre Kverndokk, 2016. "Development Aid and Climate Finance," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 63(2), pages 429-450, February.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2014.
"Returns from income strategies in rural Poland,"
The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 22(1), pages 139-178, January.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2011. "Returns from income strategies in rural Poland," Working Papers 2011-05, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Fałkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawiński, Paweł, 2013. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," Working papers 157916, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2011. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114364, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2013. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," Factor Markets Working Papers 178, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Almeida, Alexandre N. & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E., 2019. "Agricultural productivity, shadow wages and off-farm labor decisions in Nicaragua," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 99-110.
- Andaleeb Rahman & Sumit Mishra, 2020.
"Does Non-farm Income Affect Food Security? Evidence from India,"
Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 56(6), pages 1190-1209, June.
- Rahman, A. & Mishra, S., 2018. "Does non-farm income affect food security? Evidence from India," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277436, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Renata Baborska & Emilio Hernandez & Emiliano Magrini & Cristian Morales-Opazo, 2020.
"The impact of financial inclusion on rural food security experience: A perspective from low-and middle-income countries,"
Review of Development Finance Journal, Chartered Institute of Development Finance, vol. 10(2), pages 1-18.
- Baborska, Renata & Hernandez-Hernandez, Emilio & Magrini, Emiliano & Morales-Opazo, Cristian, 2018. "The impact of financial inclusion on rural food security experience: a perspective from low-and middle-income countries," MPRA Paper 89249, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Samira Salam & Md. Abul Kalam Azad & Md. Abdus Salam & Mohammad M. Islam, 2020. "Rural-to-Urban Migration and Realization of Expected Better Life in Bangladesh: An Empirical Study in Rajshahi City Corporation," International Journal of Asian Social Science, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 10(10), pages 612-622, October.
- Charles Peter Mgeni & Klaus Müller & Stefan Sieber, 2018. "Sunflower Value Chain Enhancements for the Rural Economy in Tanzania: A Village Computable General Equilibrium-CGE Approach," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(1), pages 1-22, December.
- Mamoudou Ba & Amar Anwar & Mazhar Mughal, 2021.
"Non‐farm employment and poverty reduction in Mauritania,"
Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 33(3), pages 490-514, April.
- Mamoudou Ba & Mazhar Mughal, 2021. "Non-farm Employment and Poverty Reduction in Mauritania [Emploi non agricole et réduction de la pauvreté en Mauritanie]," Working Papers hal-02933672, HAL.
- Van den Broeck, Goedele & Swinnen, Johan & Maertens, Miet, 2017.
"Global value chains, large-scale farming, and poverty: Long-term effects in Senegal,"
Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 97-107.
- Goedele Van den Broeck & Johan Swinnen & Miet Maertens, 2016. "Global value chains, large-scale farming, and poverty: long-term effects in Senegal," Working Papers of Department of Economics, Leuven 546809, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB), Department of Economics, Leuven.
- Goedele Van den Broeck & Johan Swinnen & Miet Maertens, 2016. "Global Value Chains, Large-Scale Farming, and Poverty: Long-Term Effects in Senegal," LICOS Discussion Papers 38016, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- VAN DEN BROECK, Goedele & SWINNEN, Johan & MAERTENS, Miet, 2016. "Global Value Chains, Large-Scale Farming, and Poverty: Long-Term Effects in Senegal," Working Papers 242366, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Nguyen, Huy, 2014.
"The effect of land fragmentation on labor allocation and the economic diversity of farm households: The case of Vietnam,"
57521, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nguyen, Huy, 2014. "The effect of land fragmentation on labor allocation and the economic diversity of farm households: The case of Vietnam," MPRA Paper 57643, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmed, Mansur & Goodwin, Barry, "undated". "Agricultural Mechanization and Non-Farm Labor Supply of Farm Households: Evidence from Bangladesh," 2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, Boston, Massachusetts 236131, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Unai Pascual & Edward Barbier, 2005.
"On- and off-farm labor decisions by slash-and-burn farmers in Yucatan (Mexico),"
Environmental Economy and Policy Research Working Papers
06.2005, University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economics, revised 2005.
- Pascual, Unai & Barbier, Edward B., 2005. "On- And Off-Farm Labor Decisions By Slash-And-Burn Farmers In Yucatan (Mexico)," Environmental Economy and Policy Research Discussion Papers 31926, University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economy.
- Kiros Tsegay & Hongzhong Fan & AM Priyangani Adikari & Hailay Shifare, 2021. "Does gender matter for household livelihood diversification in Ethiopia rural areas?," International Journal of Research in Business and Social Science (2147-4478), Center for the Strategic Studies in Business and Finance, vol. 10(6), pages 221-232, September.
- Paul Winters & Timothy Essam & Alberto Zezza & Benjamin Davis & Calogero Carletto, 2010.
"Patterns of Rural Development: A Cross‐Country Comparison using Microeconomic Data,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 628-651, September.
- Winters, Paul & Essam, Timothy & Davis, Benjamin & Zezza, Alberto & Carletto, Calogero & Stamoulis, Kostas, 2008. "Patterns of rural development: a cross-country comparison using microeconomic data," ESA Working Papers 289028, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Agricultural Development Economics Division (ESA).
- Paul Winters & Timothy Essam & Benjamin Davis & Alberto Zezza & Calogero Carletto & Kostas Stamoulis, 2008. "Patterns of Rural Development: A Cross-Country Comparison Using Microeconomic Data," Working Papers 08-06, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Ayenew, Habtamu Yesigat & Sauer, Johannes & Abate-Kassa, Getachew, 2016. "Rural Non-Farm Sector, Agricultural Self-Employment And Wage Employment In Agricultural Households: The Implications For Income And Risk In Rural Ethiopia," 56th Annual Conference, Bonn, Germany, September 28-30, 2016 244809, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
More about this item
KeywordsEnvironmental Economics and Policy; International Development;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2014-12-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2014-12-13 (Development)
- NEP-ENV-2014-12-13 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2014-12-13 (South East Asia)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gewi14:187571. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/gewisea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: AgEcon Search (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/gewisea.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.