Climate Variability, Shocks and Non-farm Employment: Evidence from Rural Households in Northeast Thailand
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Sushenjit Bandyopadhyay & Emmanuel Skoufias, 2015.
"Rainfall variability, occupational choice, and welfare in rural Bangladesh,"
Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 589-634, September.
- Bandyopadhyay, Sushenjit & Skoufias, Emmanuel, 2012. "Rainfall variability, occupational choice, and welfare in rural Bangladesh," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6134, The World Bank.
- Huang, Jikun & Zhi, Huayong & Huang, Zhurong & Rozelle, Scott & Giles, John, 2011.
"The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Off-farm Employment and Earnings in Rural China,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 797-807, May.
- Huang, Jikun & Zhi, Huayong & Huang, Zhurong & Rozelle, Scott & Giles, John, 2010. "The impact of the global financial crisis on off-farm employment and earnings in rural China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5439, The World Bank.
- Ana Iglesias & Sonia Quiroga & Agustin Diz, 2011. "Looking into the future of agriculture in a changing climate," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(3), pages 427-447, August.
- Fankhauser, Sam & Soare, Raluca, 2012. "Strategic adaptation to climate change in Europe," EIB Working Papers 2012/01, European Investment Bank (EIB).
- Smale, Melinda & Bellon, Mauricio R & Aguirre Gomez, Jose Alfonso, 2001. "Maize Diversity, Variety Attributes, and Farmers' Choices in Southeastern Guanajuato, Mexico," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(1), pages 201-225, October.
- Amare, Mulubrhan & Hohfeld, Lena & Jitsuchon, Somchai & Waibel, Hermann, 2012. "Rural–Urban Migration and Employment Quality: A Case Study From Thailand," Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, vol. 29(1), pages 57-79.
- Davis, Benjamin & Winters, Paul & Carletto, Gero & Covarrubias, Katia & Quiñones, Esteban J. & Zezza, Alberto & Stamoulis, Kostas & Azzarri, Carlo & DiGiuseppe, Stefania, 2010. "A Cross-Country Comparison of Rural Income Generating Activities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Ward, Patrick S. & Shively, Gerald E., 2011. "Migration and Land Rental as Risk Response in Rural China," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103379, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Salvatore Di Falco & Mahmud Yesuf & Gunnar Kohlin & Claudia Ringler, 2012. "Estimating the Impact of Climate Change on Agriculture in Low-Income Countries: Household Level Evidence from the Nile Basin, Ethiopia," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 52(4), pages 457-478, August.
- Peter Warr, 2011. "Thailand’s Development Strategy and Growth Performance," WIDER Working Paper Series 002, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jonasson, Erik & Helfand, Steven M., 2010. "How Important are Locational Characteristics for Rural Non-agricultural Employment? Lessons from Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 727-741, May.
- Beegle, Kathleen & Dehejia, Rajeev H. & Gatti, Roberta, 2006. "Child labor and agricultural shocks," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 80-96, October.
- Barrett, C. B. & Reardon, T. & Webb, P., 2001. "Nonfarm income diversification and household livelihood strategies in rural Africa: concepts, dynamics, and policy implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 315-331, August.
- Amare, Mulubrhan & Hohfeld, Lena & Jitsuchon, Somchai & Waibel, Hermann, 2012. "Rural–Urban Migration and Employment Quality: A Case Study from Thailand," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 309, Asian Development Bank.
- Alex Bowen & Sarah Cochrane & Samuel Fankhauser, 2012. "Climate change, adaptation and economic growth," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 113(2), pages 95-106, July.
- Bowen, Alex & Cochrane, Sarah & Fankhauser, Samuel, 2012. "Climate change, adaptation and economic growth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 39939, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "The rural non-farm sector: issues and evidence from developing countries," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 1-23, October.
- -, 2009. "The economics of climate change," Sede Subregional de la CEPAL para el Caribe (Estudios e Investigaciones) 38679, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Songporne Tongruksawattana & Vera Junge & Hermann Waibel & Javier Revilla Diez & Erich Schmidt, 2013. "Ex-Post Coping Strategies of Rural Households in Thailand and Vietnam," Palgrave Macmillan Books, in: Stephan Klasen & Hermann Waibel (ed.), Vulnerability to Poverty, chapter 9, pages 216-257, Palgrave Macmillan.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katharina Grabrucker & Michael Grimm, 2021.
"Is There a Rainbow after the Rain? How Do Agricultural Shocks Affect Non‐Farm Enterprises? Evidence from Thailand,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 103(5), pages 1612-1636, October.
- Grabrucker, Katharina & Grimm, Michael, 2018. "Is there a rainbow after the rain? How do agricultural shocks affect non-farm enterprises? Evidence from Thailand," TVSEP Working Papers wp-011, Leibniz Universitaet Hannover, Institute of Development and Agricultural Economics, Project TVSEP.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Amare, M. & Waibel, H., 2015. "Climate Variability, Shocks and Non-farm Employment: Evidence from Rural Household in Northeast Thailand," Proceedings “Schriften der Gesellschaft für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften des Landbaues e.V.”, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA), vol. 50, March.
- Van Hoyweghen, Kaat & Van Den Broek, Goedele & Maertens, Miet, 2018. "Understanding the importance of wage employment for rural development: Evidence from Senegal," Working Papers 272323, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Pace, Noemi & Sebastian, Ashwini & Daidone, Silvio & Dela O Campos, Ana Paula & Prifti, Ervin & Davis, Benjamin, 2022. "Cash transfers’ role in improving livelihood diversification strategies and well-being: short- and medium-term evidence from Zimbabwe," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 154(C).
- Asfaw, Solomon & Scognamillo, Antonio & Caprera, Gloria Di & Sitko, Nicholas & Ignaciuk, Adriana, 2019. "Heterogeneous impact of livelihood diversification on household welfare: Cross-country evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 278-295.
- Johan Eyckmans & Sam Fankhauser & Snorre Kverndokk, 2016. "Development Aid and Climate Finance," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 63(2), pages 429-450, February.
- Matthew Lockwood, 2013. "What Can Climate-Adaptation Policy in Sub-Saharan Africa Learn from Research on Governance and Politics?," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 31(6), pages 647-676, November.
- Bezu, Sosina & Barrett, Christopher B., 2010.
"Activity Choice in Rural Non-farm Employment (RNFE): Survival versus accumulative strategy,"
55034, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bezu, Sosina & Barrett, Christopher B. & Holden, Stein, 2014. "Activity Choice in Rural Non-farm Employment (RNFE): Survival versus accumulative strategy," CLTS Working Papers 11/14, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, revised 10 Oct 2019.
- Nagler,Paula & Naude, Wim & Nagler,Paula & Naude, Wim, 2014. "Non-farm enterprises in rural Africa : new empirical evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7066, The World Bank.
- Nagler, Paula & Naudé, Wim, 2014. "Young Entrepreneurs in Rural Africa: Prevalence, Determinants, Productivity," IZA Discussion Papers 8564, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Eskander, Shaikh & Barbier, Edward, 2016.
"Adaptation to Natural Disasters Through the Agricultural Land Rental Market: Evidence from Bangladesh,"
2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, Boston, Massachusetts
235648, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Shaikh Eskander & Edward Barbier, 2016. "Adaptation to natural disasters through the agricultural land rental market: evidence from Bangladesh," GRI Working Papers 236, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Florence Crick & Mamadou Diop & Momadou Sow & Birame Diouf & Babacar Diouf & Joseph Muhwanga & Muna Dajani, 2016. "Enabling private sector adaptation in developing countries and their semi-arid regions – case studies of Senegal and Kenya," GRI Working Papers 258, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Asfaw, Solomon & Savastano, Sara, 2015. "Topic: Building Resilience to Climate Change Through Social Protection and Climate-Smart Agriculture: Synergies and Trade-offs," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 210963, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Musa Hasen Ahmed & Kumilachew Alamerie Melesse, 2018. "Impact of off-farm activities on technical efficiency: evidence from maize producers of eastern Ethiopia," Agricultural and Food Economics, Springer;Italian Society of Agricultural Economics (SIDEA), vol. 6(1), pages 1-15, December.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2014.
"Returns from income strategies in rural Poland,"
The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 22(1), pages 139-178, January.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2011. "Returns from income strategies in rural Poland," Working Papers 2011-05, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Fałkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawiński, Paweł, 2013. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," Working papers 157916, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2011. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114364, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2013. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," Factor Markets Working Papers 178, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Almeida, Alexandre N. & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E., 2019. "Agricultural productivity, shadow wages and off-farm labor decisions in Nicaragua," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 99-110.
- Andaleeb Rahman & Sumit Mishra, 2020.
"Does Non-farm Income Affect Food Security? Evidence from India,"
Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 56(6), pages 1190-1209, June.
- Rahman, A. & Mishra, S., 2018. "Does non-farm income affect food security? Evidence from India," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277436, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Renata Baborska & Emilio Hernandez & Emiliano Magrini & Cristian Morales-Opazo, 2020.
"The impact of financial inclusion on rural food security experience: A perspective from low-and middle-income countries,"
Review of Development Finance Journal, Chartered Institute of Development Finance, vol. 10(2), pages 1-18.
- Baborska, Renata & Hernandez-Hernandez, Emilio & Magrini, Emiliano & Morales-Opazo, Cristian, 2018. "The impact of financial inclusion on rural food security experience: a perspective from low-and middle-income countries," MPRA Paper 89249, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Charles Peter Mgeni & Klaus Müller & Stefan Sieber, 2018. "Sunflower Value Chain Enhancements for the Rural Economy in Tanzania: A Village Computable General Equilibrium-CGE Approach," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 11(1), pages 1-22, December.
- Fernando M. Arag'on & Francisco Oteiza & Juan Pablo Rud, 2019. "Climate Change and Agriculture: Subsistence Farmers' Response to Extreme Heat," Papers 1902.09204, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2019.
- Cook, Aaron M. & Ricker-Gilbert, Jacob E. & Sesmero, Juan P., 2013. "How do African households adapt to climate change? Evidence from Malawi," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150507, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
More about this item
KeywordsEnvironmental Economics and Policy; International Development;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2014-12-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2014-12-13 (Development)
- NEP-ENV-2014-12-13 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2014-12-13 (South East Asia)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gewi14:187571. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/gewisea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: AgEcon Search (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/gewisea.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.