North American Integration In Agriculture: A Survey Paper
This paper surveys the economic literature about North American integration in the agri-food sector. The purpose of this survey is two-fold: it summarizes the lessons learned, and it identifies areas where further research could provide valuable input into policy discussions. As the integration of North American agriculture progresses, the range of agri-food policies with strictly domestic effects becomes increasingly narrow. Thus, policymakers in North America need to consider the effects that their decisions will have on other NAFTA countries, as well as the impact that decisions by other NAFTA governments will have at home. The paper is organized as follows. Section 2 identifies the major factors contributing to integration and comments on their relative importance. Section 3 summarizes research into the indicators of integration. These studies focus on price co-movements and trade flow data. Section 4 outlines the state of current knowledge regarding foreign direct investment in the agri-food sector, while Section 5 assesses the impact of integration on the structure and performance of the sector. Section 6 discusses opportunities for further integration in the sector, and Section 7 concludes the paper. Throughout the paper, gaps in the knowledge base are highlighted, along with suggested areas for further research.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (630) 571-9393
Fax: (630) 571-9580
Web page: http://www.farmfoundation.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burfisher, Mary E. & Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 2004. "Regionalism," MTID discussion papers 65, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- J. C. Burnham & J. E. Epperson, 1998. "A profile of foreign direct investment by the US fruit and vegetable industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 379-388.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Pick, Daniel H. & Vasavada, Utpal, 1998.
"The Economics Of Foreign Direct Investment And Trade With An Application To The U.S. Food Processing Industry,"
51205, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Munisamy Gopinath & Daniel Pick & Utpal Vasavada, 1999. "The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment and Trade with an Application to the U.S. Food Processing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 442-452.
- Don West & Odette Vaughan, 1995. "Globalization and the Food and Beverage Processing Industry," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 43(4), pages 565-578, December.
- Xinshen Diao & Terry Roe & Agapi Somwaru, 2001.
"What is the Cause of Growth in Regional Trade: Trade Liberalisation or RTAs? The Case of Agriculture,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 51-79, 01.
- Diao, Xinshen & Roe, Terry L. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "What Is The Cause Of Growth In Regional Trade: Trade Liberalization Or Rta'S? The Case Of Agriculture," Working Papers 14605, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- R. Moodley & William Kerr & Daniel Gordon, 2000. "Has the Canada-US trade agreement fostered price integration?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(2), pages 334-354, June.
- Handy, Charles R. & Bamford, John A., 2000. "Foreign Investment, Competitiveness And Trade," Policy Harmonization and Adjustment in the North American Agricultural and Food Industry; Proceedings of the 5th Agricultural and Food Policy - 1999 16795, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Bolling, H. Christine & Neff, Steven & Handy, Charles R., 1998. "U.S. Foreign Direct Investment in the Western Hemisphere Processed Food Industry," Agricultural Economics Reports 34017, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Salvator Nkunzimana & H. Alan Love & C. Richard Shumway, 2003. "Mexican agricultural trade under the GATT," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 449-459.
- Guedae Cho & Ian M. Sheldon & Steve McCorriston, 2002. "Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Agricultural Trade," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 931-942.
- Qasmi, Bashir A. & Fausti, Scott W., 1999.
"Nafta Intra Industry Trade In Agricultural Food Products,"
1999 Annual Meeting, July 11-14, 1999, Fargo, ND
35689, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Bashir A. Qasmi & Scott W. Fausti, 2001. "NAFTA intra-industry trade in agricultural food products," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 255-271.
- Karl D. Meilke & Karen Huff, 2000. "The Future of Trade Liberalization in the NAFTA Countries," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(4), pages 449-459, December.
- Mary E. Burfisher & Sherman Robinson & Karen Thierfelder, 2002. "Developing Countries and the Gains from Regionalism: Links between Trade and Farm Policy Reforms in Mexico," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 736-748.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ffnaai:16730. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.