The NAFTA Agreement and Market Integration Among Canada, US and Mexico: The Role of Non-Tariff Measures
The aim of this study is to evaluate the impact of non-tariff measures (NTM) on NAFTA agro-food trade comparing the measures implemented at the borders of participating countries, Canada, United States and Mexico, and evaluating the impact of those NTM still implemented within the NAFTA area on agro-food market integration by estimating different gravity models for the agro-food industry as a whole and for particularly relevant product categories. The overall results from the gravity model offer a measure of the impact of the different types of technical provisions and of the different degree of application of the same measure, on the agro-food trade in the NAFTA area. The picture emerging from the estimates is quite complex: overall, a net trade creation effect seems to prevail, even though the results cannot be unambigously generalized, because they are conditional to product groups and country-specific measures.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Swann, Peter & Temple, Paul & Shurmer, Mark, 1996. "Standards and Trade Performance: The UK Experience," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1297-1313, September.
- Dragan Miljkovic, 1999. "The Law of One Price in International Trade: A Critical Review," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 21(1), pages 126-139.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Wilson, John S. & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2000. "Quantifying the impact of technical barriers to trade : a framework for analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2512, The World Bank.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Doan, Darcie & Goldstein, Andrew & Zahniser, Steven & Vollrath, Thomas L. & Bolling, H. Christine, 2004. "North American Integration In Agriculture: A Survey Paper," North American Agrifood Integration: Situation and Perspectives, May 2004, Cancun, Mexico 16730, Farm Foundation.
- Dawn D. Thilmany & Christopher B. Barrett, 1997. "Regulatory Barriers in an Integrating World Food Market," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 91-107.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.