Foreign Direct Investment (Fdi) And Trade - Substitutes And Complements? An Application To The Processed Food Industry
Foreign direct investment (FDI) have become a more dominant form of international trade in a more globalized world. This paper investigates the question of whether FDI and trade are substitutes or complements. In the context of a generally applicable model, the focus is on the processed food industry.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Pfaffermayr, 1996. "Ownership advantages, home production, foreign production and exports of direct investing firms—Some evidence from austrian firms," Empirica, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 317-328, October.
- Blonigen, Bruce A, 1997. "Firm-Specific Assets and the Link between Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 447-65, June.
- Buckley, Peter J & Casson, Mark, 1981. "The Optimal Timing of a Foreign Direct Investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 75-87, March.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 1999.
"In Search of Substitution Between Foreign Production and Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
7154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A., 2001. "In search of substitution between foreign production and exports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 81-104, February.
- Barbara El-Osta & Craig R. MacPhee & David I. Rosenbaum, 1996. "International Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Market Performance," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 63-74, Winter.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1981. "Foreign Production and Exports in Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 488-94, November.
- S. Lael Brainard, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Multinational Corporations and Trade with a Trade-Off Between Proximity and Concentration," NBER Working Papers 4269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Pick, Daniel H. & Vasavada, Utpal, 1998.
"The Economics Of Foreign Direct Investment And Trade With An Application To The U.S. Food Processing Industry,"
51205, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Munisamy Gopinath & Daniel Pick & Utpal Vasavada, 1999. "The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment and Trade with an Application to the U.S. Food Processing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 442-452.
- Bolling, H. Christine & Neff, Steven & Handy, Charles R., 1998. "U.S. Foreign Direct Investment in the Western Hemisphere Processed Food Industry," Agricultural Economics Reports 34017, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Markusen, James R., 1984. "Multinationals, multi-plant economies, and the gains from trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 205-226, May.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1984. "Foreign Production and Exports of Individual Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 304-08, May.
- Belderbos, Rene & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 1998. "Tariff jumping DFI and export substitution: Japanese electronics firms in Europe," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 601-638, September.
- Caves, Richard E., 1985. "International trade and industrial organization: Problems, solved and unsolved," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 377-395, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea99:21665. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.