Factors Affecting the Impact of CAP Scenarios on Farm Structure: An Analysis Based on Stated Intentions
Several authors have emphasised the effect of agricultural policy (such as SFP) as a driver of structural change. This paper aims to identify the determinants of the change in the use of productive factors under different policy scenarios. The analysis is performed ex ante, assessing the effect of CAP abolishment (as compared to the current CAP) on the use of productive factors, based on stated intentions by farmers. The results highlight the role of farm size, intensity and education in determining different patterns of reaction to policy changes. Also differences are identified among the three main component of structural change, land, capital and labour, with the latter being the less dependent upon the CAP.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Viaggi, Davide & Raggi, Meri & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2010. "An integer programming dynamic farm-household model to evaluate the impact of agricultural policy reforms on farm investment behaviour," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(2), pages 1130-1139, December.
- Mark Brady & Konrad Kellermann & Christoph Sahrbacher & Ladislav Jelinek, 2009. "Impacts of Decoupled Agricultural Support on Farm Structure, Biodiversity and Landscape Mosaic: Some EU Results," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 563-585.
- Happe, Kathrin & Balmann, Alfons & Kellermann, Konrad & Sahrbacher, Christoph, 2008. "Does structure matter? The impact of switching the agricultural policy regime on farm structures," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 431-444, August.
- Viaggi, Davide & Raggi, Meri & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2011.
"Farm-household investment behaviour and the CAP decoupling: Methodological issues in assessing policy impacts,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 127-145, January.
- Pavel Ciaian & Maria Espinosa & Sergio Gomez y Paloma & Stephen Langrell & Kamel Louhichi & Thierry Vard & Thomas Heckelei & Paolo Sckokai & Alban Thomas, 2013. "Farm-household investment behaviour and the CAP decoupling: Methodological issues in assessing policy impacts," JRC-IPTS Working Papers JRC79969, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs & Johan Swinnen, 2010.
"EU Land Markets and the Common Agricultural Policy,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2010_47, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs & Johan Swinnen, 2010. "EU Land Markets and the Common Agricultural Policy," Journal of Economics and Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics Society, vol. 53(3), pages 1-31.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2012. "European Union Land Markets and the Common Agricultural Policy," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126683, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- David H. Harrington, 2005. "Agricultural Structural Adjustments to U.S. Policies: Discussion Paper," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1198-1199.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Raggi, Meri & Viaggi, Davide, 2010. "Determinants of farm exit: A comparison between Europe and United States," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61075, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Laure Latruffe & Chantal Le MouÃ«l, 2009. "Capitalization Of Government Support In Agricultural Land Prices: What Do We Know?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(4), pages 659-691, 09.
- Mary Clare Ahearn & Jet Yee & Penni Korb, 2005. "Effects of Differing Farm Policies on Farm Structure and Dynamics," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1182-1189.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra, 2005. "Another Look at Decoupling: Additional Evidence on the Production Effects of Direct Payments," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1200-1210.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae11:114244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.