EU Agricultural Systems in the new CAP perspectives
In recent years EU agricultural system have been characterized by several development patterns and different policies tools have been adopted by each country as a means to reach economic development in rural regions, above all in advanced countries. The recognition of agricultural and territorial systems is essential to define regional development programs, especially in a period when the new rural development policies are going to be designed and planned. Present research tries to identify and analyse main structural models of “agricultures” within European Union, whose classification could be useful as decision tool to define policies of intervention, in view of new programming period (CAP 2014-2020). The research is focused on the analysis of agricultural features in 247 regional areas (NUTS 2) of all European countries and has been carried out adopting a Principal Components Analysis (PCA) to identify main factors that differentiate agricultural systems in EU countries, taking into account a specific group-set of social and economic indicators. Afterward, by applying cluster analysis on the results of PCA, we classified the different regional areas into homogenous groups. The results allow a general classification of “homogeneous agricultural areas”,, whose categorization may be useful for better understanding characteristics of the European Union countryside and better orientate ongoing planning of new CAP.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Nijkamp & Tuzin Baycan Levent & Aliye Ahu Gulumser, 2006.
"Turkey's Rurality: A Comparative Analysis At the EU Level,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p641, European Regional Science Association.
- Gülümser, A.A. & Baycan-Levent, T. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Turkey’s rurality: A comparative analysis at the EU level," Serie Research Memoranda 0031, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Dimitris Ballas & Thanasis Kalogeresis & Lois Labrianidis, 2003. "A comparative study of typologies for rural areas in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa03p515, European Regional Science Association.
- Sophia Davidova & Lena Fredriksson & Alastair Bailey, 2009.
"Subsistence and Semi-Subsistence Farming in Selected EU New Member States,"
Studies in Economics
0920, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Sophia Davidova & Lena Fredriksson & Alastair Bailey, 2009. "Subsistence and semi-subsistence farming in selected EU new member states," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(s1), pages 733-744, November.
- Davidova, Sophia & Fredriksson, Lena & Bailey, Alastair, 2009. "Subsistence and Semi-subsistence Farming in Selected EU New Member States," 111th Seminar, June 26-27, 2009, Canterbury, UK 52801, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Beard, Nick & Swinbank, Alan, 2001. "Decoupled payments to facilitate CAP reform," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 121-145, April.
- Steven C. Deller & Tsung-Hsiu (Sue) Tsai & David W. Marcouiller & Donald B.K. English, 2001. "The Role of Amenities and Quality of Life In Rural Economic Growth," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 352-365.
- Benedetto Rocchi, 2009. "The CAP reform between targeting and equity: a structural policy analysis for Italy," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36(2), pages 175-201, June.
- Paul Winters & Timothy Essam & Alberto Zezza & Benjamin Davis & Calogero Carletto, 2010.
"Patterns of Rural Development: A Cross-Country Comparison using Microeconomic Data,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 628-651.
- Paul Winters & Timothy Essam & Benjamin Davis & Alberto Zezza & Calogero Carletto & Kostas Stamoulis, 2008. "Patterns of Rural Development: A Cross-Country Comparison Using Microeconomic Data," Working Papers 08-06, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Michael Porter, 2003. "The Economic Performance of Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6-7), pages 549-578.
- Kwang-Koo Kim & David W. Marcouiller & Steven C. Deller, 2005. "Natural Amenities and Rural Development: Understanding Spatial and Distributional Attributes," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(2), pages 273-297.
- Jean-Marc Callois & Bertrand Schmitt, 2009. "The role of social capital components on local economic growth: Local cohesion and openness in French rural areas," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 90(3), pages 257-286.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Mellinger, 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," CID Working Papers 1, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Gallup, J.L. & Sachs, J.D. & Mullinger, A., 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," Papers 1, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- C. F. Bach & S. E. Frandsen & H. G. Jensen, 2000. "Agricultural and Economy-Wide Effects of European Enlargement: Modelling the Common Agricultural Policy," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 162-180.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa126:126116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.