Does the Name Matter? Developing Brands for Patented Fruit Varieties
Brands have largely been absent for fresh produce products; however, apples are one notable exception whereby varieties partially take the place of brands. Studying the role of brands in this market is particularly interesting given the introduction of several patented or socalled managed apple varieties. We develop an experiment to examine consumer response to a suite of apple varieties; treatments employ different branding strategies using different names for a new managed variety included in the experiment. Results suggest that the name does influence consumer valuation of the new variety and existing managed varieties, but has little impact on markets for traditional apple varieties.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://aem.cornell.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jayson Lusk & Ted Schroeder & Ty Feldkamp, 2004.
"Experimental auction procedure: Impact on valuation of quality differentiated goods,"
Artefactual Field Experiments
00097, The Field Experiments Website.
- Ty Feldkamp & Ted C. Schroeder, 2004. "Experimental Auction Procedure: Impact on Valuation of Quality Differentiated Goods," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 389-405.
- Golan, Elise H. & Kuchler, Fred & Mitchell, Lorraine, 2000. "Economics Of Food Labeling," Agricultural Economics Reports 34069, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Glenn Harrison & John List, 2004.
Artefactual Field Experiments
00058, The Field Experiments Website.
- Christopher Kanter & Kent D. Messer & Harry M. Kaiser, 2009. "Does Production Labeling Stigmatize Conventional Milk?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1097-1109.
- Yanhong H. Jin & David Zilberman & Amir Heiman & Ying Li, 2011. "Willingness to pay for brands: a cross‐region, cross‐category analysis," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(2), pages 141-152, 03.
- Yanhong H. Jin & David Zilberman & Amir Heiman, 2008.
"Choosing Brands: Fresh Produce versus Other Products,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 463-475.
- Jin, Yanhong H. & Zilberman, David & Heiman, Amir, 2005. "Choosing Brands: Fresh Produce versus other Products," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19192, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- H. Bulut & G. Moschini, 2009.
"US universities' net returns from patenting and licensing: a quantile regression analysis,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 123-137.
- Harun Bulut & GianCarlo Moschini, 2006. "U.S. Universities' Net Returns from Patenting and Licensing: A Quantile Regression Analysis," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 06-wp432, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Kaufman, Phillip R. & Handy, Charles R. & McLaughlin, Edward W. & Park, Kristen & Green, Geoffrey M., 2000. "Understanding The Dynamics Of Produce Markets: Consumption And Consolidation Grow," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33747, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Elyakime, Bernard & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Loisel, Patrice & Vuong, Quang, 1993. "First-Price Sealed-Bid Auctions with Secret Reservation Prices," IDEI Working Papers 27, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Andreas C. Drichoutis & Panagiotis Lazaridis & Rodolfo M. Nayga, 2009. "Would consumers value food-away-from-home products with nutritional labels?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 550-575.
- Jayson L. Lusk & Darren Hudson, 2004. "Willingness-to-Pay Estimates and Their Relevance to Agribusiness Decision Making," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 152-169.
- Greene, William H., 1983. "Estimation of limited dependent variable models by ordinary least squares and the method of moments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 195-212, February.
- Tirtha Dhar & Jeremy D. Foltz, 2005. "Milk by Any Other Name … Consumer Benefits from Labeled Milk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(1), pages 214-228.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:cudawp:126603. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.