Crop Prices, Agricultural Revenues, and the Local Economy of the U.S. Heartland
Economists broadly recognize that the U.S. rural economy is no longer a farm economy, yet policy makers often justify support for agriculture by stressing the sector’s importance to the rural economy. We use the historically high crop prices in the late 2000s to estimate the marginal effect of increased agricultural revenues on local economies in the U.S. Heartland. We find that $1 in additional crop revenue generated 67 cents in local income, most of which went to farm proprietors and workers (58 percent) or nonfarmers who own farm assets (36 percent). There is no evidence of an effect on nonfarm income or employment, or on population.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bechdol, Elizabeth & Gray, Allan W. & Gloy, Brent A., 2010. "Forces Affecting Change In Crop Production Agriculture," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(4).
- Jason Henderson & Maria Akers, 2009. "Recession catches rural America," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q I, pages 65-87.
- Jason P. Brown & Stephan J. Goetz & Mary C. Ahearn & Chyi-lyi (Kathleen) Liang, 2014. "Linkages Between Community-Focused Agriculture, Farm Sales, and Regional Growth," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 28(1), pages 5-16, February.
- Dayton Lambert & Tim Wojan & Patrick Sullivan, 2009. "Farm Business and Household Expenditure Patterns and Local Communities: Evidence from a National Farm Survey," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 604-626, 09.
- William Edmondson & Gerald Schluter & Chinkook Lee & Lowell Dyson, 1996. "U.S. agricultural trade and its impact on the Midwest rural economy," Assessing the Midwest Economy GL-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Paggi, Mechel S. & Rosson, C. Parr, III & Adcock, Flynn J. & Hanselka, Daniel D., 2011. "National and Regional Impacts of U.S. Agricultural Exports," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(1).
- Enrico Moretti, 2010. "Local Multipliers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 373-77, May.
- Elena G. Irwin & Andrew M. Isserman & Maureen Kilkenny & Mark D. Partridge, 2010. "A Century of Research on Rural Development and Regional Issues," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(2), pages 522-553.
- Maureen Kilkenny & Mark D. Partridge, 2009. "Export Sectors and Rural Development," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(4), pages 910-929.
- Sneeringer, Stacy E. & Hertz, Thomas, 2013. "The Effects of Large-Scale Hog Production on Local Labor Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 45(01), February.
- Jason Henderson & Maria Akers, 2012. "Commodities underpin rural economic growth," Main Street Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue 1.
- N/A, 2009. "On the Recession," Local Economy, London South Bank University, vol. 24(3), pages 253-253, May.
- Sneeringer, Stacy & Hertz, Tom, 2013. "The Effects of Large-Scale Hog Production on Local Labor Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(01), pages 139-158, February.
- Otto, Daniel, 1986. "Economic Linkages Between Agriculture and Other Sectors Within Rural America," Staff General Research Papers 11018, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- J. DeBoer-Lowenberg & Michael Boehlje, 1986. "The Impact of Farmland Price Changes on Farm Size and Financial Structure," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 68(4), pages 838-848.
- Rao, J. Mohan, 1986. "Agriculture in recent development theory," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 41-86, June.
- Williamson, James M. & Durst, Ron L. & Farrigan, Tracey L., 2013. "The Potential Impact of Tax Reform on Farm Businesses and Rural Households," Economic Information Bulletin 145318, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Foltz, Jeremy D. & Jackson-Smith, Douglas & Chen, Lucy, 2002. "Do Purchasing Patterns Differ Between Large and Small Dairy Farms? Econometric Evidence from Three Wisconsin Communities," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(1), April.
- Jeremy Foltz & Kimberly Zeuli, 2005. "The Role of Community and Farm Characteristics in Farm Input Purchasing Patterns," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(4), pages 508-525.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:150404. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.