Crop Prices, Agricultural Revenues, and the Local Economy of the U.S. Heartland
Economists broadly recognize that the U.S. rural economy is no longer a farm economy, yet policy makers often justify support for agriculture by stressing the sector’s importance to the rural economy. We use the historically high crop prices in the late 2000s to estimate the marginal effect of increased agricultural revenues on local economies in the U.S. Heartland. We find that $1 in additional crop revenue generated 67 cents in local income, most of which went to farm proprietors and workers (58 percent) or nonfarmers who own farm assets (36 percent). There is no evidence of an effect on nonfarm income or employment, or on population.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maureen Kilkenny & Mark D. Partridge, 2009. "Export Sectors and Rural Development," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(4), pages 910-929.
- Enrico Moretti, 2010. "Local Multipliers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 373-77, May.
- Jason P. Brown & Stephan J. Goetz & Mary C. Ahearn & Chyi-lyi (Kathleen) Liang, 2014. "Linkages Between Community-Focused Agriculture, Farm Sales, and Regional Growth," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 28(1), pages 5-16, February.
- Jason Henderson & Maria Akers, 2012. "Commodities underpin rural economic growth," Main Street Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue 1.
- Sneeringer, Stacy E. & Hertz, Thomas, 2013. "The Effects of Large-Scale Hog Production on Local Labor Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 45(01), February.
- Bechdol, Elizabeth & Gray, Allan W. & Gloy, Brent A., 2010. "Forces Affecting Change In Crop Production Agriculture," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(4).
- Foltz, Jeremy D. & Jackson-Smith, Douglas & Chen, Lucy, 2002. "Do Purchasing Patterns Differ Between Large and Small Dairy Farms? Econometric Evidence from Three Wisconsin Communities," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(1), April.
- Rao, J. Mohan, 1986. "Agriculture in recent development theory," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 41-86, June.
- Jeremy Foltz & Kimberly Zeuli, 2005. "The Role of Community and Farm Characteristics in Farm Input Purchasing Patterns," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(4), pages 508-525.
- Jason Henderson & Maria Akers, 2009. "Recession catches rural America," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q I, pages 65-87.
- William Edmondson & Gerald Schluter & Chinkook Lee & Lowell Dyson, 1996. "U.S. agricultural trade and its impact on the Midwest rural economy," Assessing the Midwest Economy GL-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Otto, Daniel, 1986. "Economic Linkages Between Agriculture and Other Sectors Within Rural America," Staff General Research Papers 11018, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Williamson, James M. & Durst, Ron L. & Farrigan, Tracey L., 2013. "The Potential Impact of Tax Reform on Farm Businesses and Rural Households," Economic Information Bulletin 145318, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Paggi, Mechel S. & Rosson, C. Parr, III & Adcock, Flynn J. & Hanselka, Daniel D., 2011. "National and Regional Impacts of U.S. Agricultural Exports," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(1).
- Elena G. Irwin & Andrew M. Isserman & Maureen Kilkenny & Mark D. Partridge, 2010. "A Century of Research on Rural Development and Regional Issues," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(2), pages 522-553.
- Dayton Lambert & Tim Wojan & Patrick Sullivan, 2009. "Farm Business and Household Expenditure Patterns and Local Communities: Evidence from a National Farm Survey," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 604-626, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:150404. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.