Designing coordination contracts to support efficient flow-scheduling in pork chain
Risk management and efficient, well coordinated, flow-scheduling have an increasingly important role in the competitive pork production networks. Changes in input and output prices have resulted in distortions in the Finnish pig markets during the last years. The goal of this study is to estimate how different price or quantity-fixing contracts affect the values of pig and sow space unit under price risk. The values are estimated with two stochastic dynamic programming models. The results suggest that a contract which is able to control both the pattern of changes in piglet prices and the option to suspend production temporarily has a value and it can help to improve the competitiveness of the pig sector. However, it is feasible to have incentives towards the contract commitment when market situation upon accepting the commitment is favourable.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dubois, P. & Vukina, T., 2005.
"Optimal incentives under moral hazard and heterogeneous agents : evidence from production contracts data,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse)
200511, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2009. "Optimal incentives under moral hazard and heterogeneous agents: Evidence from production contracts data," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 489-500, July.
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2005. "Optimal Incentives Under Moral Hazard and Heterogeneous Agents: Evidence from Production Contracts Data," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24645, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2008. "Optimal Incentives under Moral Hazard and Heterogeneous Agents: Evidence from Production Contracts Data," IDEI Working Papers 393, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2006. "Optimal Incentives under Moral Hazard and Heterogeneous Agents: Evidence from Production Contracts Data," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25568, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2006. "Optimal Incentives under Moral Hazard and Heterogeneous Agents: Evidence from Production Contracts Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 6011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jalvingh, A. W. & Dijkhuizen, A. A. & van Arendonk, J. A. M., 1992. "Dynamic probabilistic modelling of reproduction and replacement management in sow herds. General aspects and model description," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 133-152.
- Martin Odening & Oliver Mu�hoff & Alfons Balmann, 2005. "Investment decisions in hog finishing: an application of the real options approach," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(1), pages 47-60, 01.
- Jan Hinrichs & Oliver Musshoff & Martin Odening, 2008. "Economic hysteresis in hog production," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 333-340.
- Vukina Tomislav & Shin Changmok & Zheng Xiaoyong, 2009. "Complementarity among Alternative Procurement Arrangements in the Pork Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Zheng Xiaoyong & Vukina Tomislav & Shin Changmock, 2008. "The Role of Farmers' Risk aversion for Contract Choice in the US Hog Industry," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-22, June.
- Richardson, James W. & Klose, Steven L. & Gray, Allan W., 2000. "An Applied Procedure For Estimating And Simulating Multivariate Empirical (Mve) Probability Distributions In Farm-Level Risk Assessment And Policy Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(02), August.
- Joost M. E. Pennings, 2004. "Channel Contract Behavior: The Role of Risk Attitudes, Risk Perceptions, And Channel Members' Market Structures," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 697-724, October.
- Huirne, R. B. M. & Dijkhuizen, A. A. & van Beek, P. & Hendriks, Th. H. B., 1993. "Stochastic dynamic programming to support sow replacement decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 161-171, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea12:125208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.