Survival of the Fittest: Explaining Export Duration and Export Failure in the U.S. Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Market
This study investigates the factors that impact the duration of trade relationships in U.S. fresh fruit and vegetable imports. We employ both the survival analysis (KM estimates and Cox PH model) as well as a count data model. The preliminary results indicate that SPS treatment requirements positively impact duration while new market access issued during the study period negatively impacts duration. Developed countries and countries located in North America experience longer duration. Other factors typically included in trade duration models were also investigated. Additionally, we employ a Heckman two-step procedure to understand the impact of duration on the probability of trading and trade volume, and find that both are positively impacted therefore suggesting that more stable trade relationships also tend to involve a higher volume of trade.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Newfarmer & William Shaw & Peter Walkenhorst, 2009. "Breaking Into New Markets," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2616.
- Tibor Besedes & Thomas J. Prusa, 2007.
"The Role of Extensive and Intensive Margins and Export Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
13628, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Besedes, Tibor & Prusa, Thomas J., 2011. "The role of extensive and intensive margins and export growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 371-379, November.
- Mario Cleves & William W. Gould & Roberto G. Gutierrez & Yulia Marchenko, 2010. "An Introduction to Survival Analysis Using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 3, number saus3, November.
- Besedes, Tibor & Prusa, Thomas J., 2006. "Product differentiation and duration of US import trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 339-358, December.
- Nitsch, Volker, 2008.
"Die another day: duration in German import trade,"
2008/17, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Volker Nitsch, 2009. "Die another day: duration in German import trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 133-154, April.
- Aksoy, M. Ataman & Beghin, John C., 2005.
"Global Agricultural Trade and Developing Countries,"
Staff General Research Papers
12228, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- M. Ataman Aksoy & John C. Beghin, 2005. "Global Agricultural Trade and Developing Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7464.
- Obashi, Ayako, 2010.
"Stability of production networks in East Asia: Duration and survival of trade,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 21-30, January.
- Ayako OBASHI, 2009. "Stability of Production Networks in East Asia: Duration and Survival of Trade," Working Papers d006, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Ayako Obashi, 2008. "Stability of Production Networks in East Asia: Duration and Survival of Trade," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2008-002, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Tibor Besedes & Thomas Prusa, 2006. "Ins, outs, and the duration of trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(1), pages 266-295, February.
- Hess, Wolfgang & Persson, Maria, 2010.
"Exploring the Duration of EU Imports,"
Working Paper Series
849, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Wolfgang Hess & Maria Persson, 2011. "Exploring the duration of EU imports," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 147(4), pages 665-692, November.
- Besedes, Tibor, 2011.
"The role of NAFTA and returns to scale in export duration,"
31217, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tibor Besedeš, 2013. "The Role of NAFTA and Returns to Scale in Export Duration," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 59(2), pages 306-336, June.
- Tibor Besedeš, 2011. "The Role of NAFTA and Returns to Scale in Export Duration," CeFiG Working Papers 17, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 01 Dec 2011.
- Patrick Royston & Paul C. Lambert, 2011. "Flexible Parametric Survival Analysis Using Stata: Beyond the Cox Model," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number fpsaus, November.
- Cadot, Olivier & Iacovone, Leonardo & Pierola, Denisse & Rauch, Ferdinand, 2011.
"Success and failure of African exporters,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5657, The World Bank.
- Paul Brenton & Christian Saborowski & Erik von Uexkull, 2010.
"What Explains the Low Survival Rate of Developing Country Export Flows?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 24(3), pages 474-499, December.
- Brenton, Paul & Saborowski, Christian & von Uexkull, Erik, 2009. "What explains the low survival rate of developing country export flows ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4951, The World Bank.
- Bradford F. Mills, 2000. "Are Spells of Unemployment Longer in Nonmetropolitan Areas? Nonparametric and Semiparametric Evidence," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 697-718.
- Wolfgang Hess & Maria Persson, 2012. "The duration of trade revisited," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 1083-1107, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea12:124706. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.