Household Size And Composition Impacts On Meat Demand In Mexico: A Censored Demand System Approach
The proposed paper adopts the censored demand system approach of Lee and Pitt (1986) to examine the structure of Mexican food demand. This approach uses the concept of virtual prices to explain specific purchase patterns. The contribution of our selected paper is the incorporation of the endogenous equivalence scale function proposed by Phlipps (1998) within this censored system. The contribution of this analysis is not only in terms of the use of an endogenous scaling function within a censored demand system, but we also will be use simulated maximum likelihood techniques which allows for the specification and estimation of significantly larger sized demand systems without the imposition of restrictive distributional assumptions on the equation error terms. We use a Gibbs sampling techniques to evaluate higher order truncated distributions required to implement the Lee and Pitt (1986) model specification.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blundell, Richard & Meghir, Costas, 1987. "Bivariate alternatives to the Tobit model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 179-200.
- Diansheng Dong & Brian W. Gould, 2000. "Quality versus quantity in Mexican household poultry and pork purchases," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 333-355.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1986. "On Measuring Child Costs: With Applications to Poor Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 720-44, August.
- Federico Perali & Jean-Paul Chavas, 2000. "Estimation of Censored Demand Equations from Large Cross-Section Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 1022-1037.
- Frederic Vermeulen, 2001. "A note on Heckman-type corrections in models for zero expenditures," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 1089-1092.
- Daniel J. Phaneuf & Catherine L. Kling & Joseph A. Herriges, 2000.
"Estimation and Welfare Calculations in a Generalized Corner Solution Model with an Application to Recreation Demand,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 83-92, February.
- Phaneuf, Daniel J. & Kling, Catherine L. & Herriges, Joseph A., 2000. "Estimation and Welfare Calculations in a Generalized Corner Solution Model with an Application to Recreation Demand," Staff General Research Papers 1355, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Daniel J. Phaneuf & Catherine L. Kling & Joseph A. Herriges, 1998. "Estimation and Welfare Calculations in a Generalized Corner Solution Model with an Application to Recreation Demand," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp207, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Blaylock, James R., 1991. "The Impact Of Equivalence Scales On The Analysis Of Income And Food Spending Distributions," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Chiang, J. & Lee, L-F., 1990.
"Discrete/Continuous Models of Consumer Demand with Binding Non-Negativity Constraints,"
261, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Chiang, Jeongwen & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1992. "Discrete/continuous models of consumer demand with binding nonnegativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 79-93.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1989. "Household equivalence scales and welfare comparisons," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 377-391, August.
- Wales, T. J. & Woodland, A. D., 1983. "Estimation of consumer demand systems with binding non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 263-285, April.
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Phipps, Shelley & Garner, Thesia I, 1994.
"Are Equivalence Scales the Same for the United States and Canada?,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Garner, T.I. & Phipps, S., 1993. "Are Equivalence Scales the Same for the United States and Canada?," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 93-02, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D. & Green, Richard D., 1994. "Maintaining and Testing Separability in Demand Systems," Staff General Research Papers 11247, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Julian M. Alston & James A. Chalfant, 1987.
"Weak Separability And A Test For The Specification Of Income In Demand Models With An Application To The Demand For Meat In Australia,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 31(1), pages 1-15, 04.
- Alston, Julian M. & Chalfant, James A., 1987. "Weak Separability And A Test For The Specification Of Income In Demand Models With An Application To The Demand For Meat In Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 31(01), April.
- Mark M. Pitt & Daniel L. Millimet, 1999. "Estimation of Coherent Demand Systems with Many Binding Non-Negativity Constraints," Working Papers 99-4, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Heien, Dale & Wessells, Cathy Roheim, 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 365-71, July.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Pitt, Mark M, 1986. "Microeconometric Demand Systems with Binding Nonnegativity Constraints: The Dual Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1237-42, September.
- Shelley A. Phipps, 1998. "What Is The Income "Cost Of A Child"? Exact Equivalence Scales For Canadian Two-Parent Families," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(1), pages 157-164, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea02:19722. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.