Recommendation domains for pond aquaculture: country case study: development and status of freshwater aquaculture in Malawi
This monograph is a result of a 3-year project to produce a decision-support toolkit with supporting databases and case studies to help researchers, planners and extension agents working on freshwater pond aquaculture. The purpose of the work was to provide tools and information to help practitioners identify places and conditions where pond aquaculture can benefit the poor, both as producers and as consumers of fish. This monograph is the case study for Malawi. Written in three parts, it describes the historical background, practices, stakeholder profiles, production levels, economic and institutional environment, policy issues, and prospects for aquaculture in the country. First, it documents the history and current status of the aquaculture in the country. Second, it assesses the technologies and approaches that either succeeded or failed to foster aquaculture development and discusses why. Third, it identifies the key reasons for aquaculture adoption.
|This book is provided by The WorldFish Center in its series Working Papers with number 37900 and published in 2008.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Jalan Batu Maung, Batu Maung, 11960 Bayan Lepas, Penang|
Phone: +60 4 626 1606
Fax: +60 4 626 5530
Web page: http://www.worldfishcenter.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brummett, Randall E. & Williams, Meryl J., 2000. "The evolution of aquaculture in African rural and economic development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 193-203, May.
- Benson, Todd & Chamberlin, Jordan & Rhinehart, Ingrid, 2005. "An investigation of the spatial determinants of the local prevalence of poverty in rural Malawi," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5-6), pages 532-550.
- Hansen, J.D. & Luckert, M.K. & Minae, S. & Place, F., 2005. "Tree planting under customary tenure systems in malawi: impacts of marriage and inheritance patterns," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 99-118, April.
- Hara, Mafaniso Michael, 2001. "Could marine resources provide a short-term solution to declining fish supply in SADC inland countries? The case of horse mackerel," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 11-34, February.
- International Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management, 1991. "The context of small-scale integrated agriculture-aquaculture systems in Africa: a case study of Malawi," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 5878, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfi:wfbook:37900. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William Ko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.