Price stickiness in Portugal evidence from survey data
This paper analyses the results of a survey conducted on a sample of Portuguese firms, with the main purpose of investigating their price setting behaviour. The evidence points to a considerable degree of price stickiness: most firms do not change prices more than once a year; time lags in price reactions to shocks are significant; and more than half of the firms follow time-dependent price reviewing and build their price decisions disregarding any indication of future economic developments. Implicit contracts between firms and their customers under which the former pledge to stabilise their prices as a way to increase customers' loyalty are apparently the main reason preventing firms from changing their prices more frequently. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 31 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2-3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Martins, Fernando, 2005.
"The price setting behaviour of Portuguese firms: evidence from survey data,"
Working Paper Series
0562, European Central Bank.
- Fernando Martins, 2006. "The Price Setting Behaviour of Portuguese Firms Evidence From Survey Data," Working Papers w200604, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Daniel Levy & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen, 2002.
"Heterogeneity in Price Rigidity: Evidence from a Case Study Using Micro-Level Data,"
2002-09, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Levy, Daniel & Dutta, Shantanu & Bergen, Mark, 2002. "Heterogeneity in Price Rigidity: Evidence from a Case Study Using Microlevel Data," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 197-220, February.
- Daniel Levy & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen, 2004. "Heterogeneity in Price Rigidity: Evidence from a Case Study Using Micro-Level Data," Macroeconomics 0402021, EconWPA.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler & J. David López-Salido, 2000.
"European Inflation Dynamics,"
0020, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark & López-Salido, J David, 2001. "European Inflation Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 2684, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler & J. David Lopez-Salido, 2001. "European Inflation Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 8218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Simon & Walsh, Mark & Yates, Anthony, 2000. "Are UK Companies' Prices Sticky?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(3), pages 425-46, July.
- Silvia Fabiani & Martine Druant & Ignacio Hernando & Claudia Kwapil & Bettina Landau & Claire Loupias & Fernando Martins & Thomas Mathä & Roberto Sabbatini & Harald Stahl & Ad Stokman, 2006.
"What Firms' Surveys Tell Us about Price-Setting Behavior in the Euro Area,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(3), September.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Druant, Martine & Hernando, Ignacio & Kwapil, Claudia & Landau, Bettina & Loupias, Claire & Martins, Fernando & Matha, Thomas & Sabbatini, Roberto & Stahl, Harald & Stokman, Ad, 2006. "What Firms' Surveys Tell Us about Price-Setting Behavior in the Euro Area," MPRA Paper 808, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Druant, Martine & Hernando, Ignacio & Kwapil, Claudia & Landau, Bettina & Loupias, Claire & Martins, Fernando & Mathä, Thomas Y. & Sabbatini, Roberto & Stahl, Harald & Stokman, Ad C., 2005. "The pricing behaviour of firms in the euro area: new survey evidence," Working Paper Series 0535, European Central Bank.
- Taylor, John B, 1980.
"Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Smets, Frank, 2003. "Maintaining price stability: how long is the medium term?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1293-1309, September.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Loupias, Claire & Martins, Fernando & Sabbatini, Roberto (ed.), 2007. "Pricing Decisions in the Euro Area: How Firms Set Prices and Why," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195309287, December.
- Laurence Ball & David Romer, 1987.
"Real Rigidities and the Non-Neutrality of Money,"
NBER Working Papers
2476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberts, John M., 1997. "Is inflation sticky?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 173-196, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:31:y:2010:i:2-3:p:123-134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.