Price stickiness in Portugal evidence from survey data
This paper analyses the results of a survey conducted on a sample of Portuguese firms, with the main purpose of investigating their price setting behaviour. The evidence points to a considerable degree of price stickiness: most firms do not change prices more than once a year; time lags in price reactions to shocks are significant; and more than half of the firms follow time-dependent price reviewing and build their price decisions disregarding any indication of future economic developments. Implicit contracts between firms and their customers under which the former pledge to stabilise their prices as a way to increase customers' loyalty are apparently the main reason preventing firms from changing their prices more frequently. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 31 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2-3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark & Lopez-Salido, J. David, 2001.
"European inflation dynamics,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 1237-1270.
- Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark & López-Salido, J David, 2001. "European Inflation Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 2684, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler & J. David López-Salido, 2000. "European Inflation Dynamics," Working Papers 0020, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler & J. David Lopez-Salido, 2001. "European Inflation Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 8218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Laurence Ball & David Romer, 1987.
"Real Rigidities and the Non-Neutrality of Money,"
NBER Working Papers
2476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Levy & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen, 2004.
"Heterogeneity in Price Rigidity: Evidence from a Case Study Using Micro-Level Data,"
- Levy, Daniel & Dutta, Shantanu & Bergen, Mark, 2002. "Heterogeneity in Price Rigidity: Evidence from a Case Study Using Microlevel Data," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 197-220, February.
- Daniel Levy & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen, 2002. "Heterogeneity in Price Rigidity: Evidence from a Case Study Using Micro-Level Data," Working Papers 2002-09, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Roberts, John M., 1997. "Is inflation sticky?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 173-196, July.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Loupias, Claire & Martins, Fernando & Sabbatini, Roberto (ed.), 2007. "Pricing Decisions in the Euro Area: How Firms Set Prices and Why," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195309287, December.
- Silvia Fabiani & Martine Druant & Ignacio Hernando & Claudia Kwapil & Bettina Landau & Claire Loupias & Fernando Martins & Thomas Mathä & Roberto Sabbatini & Harald Stahl & Ad Stokman, 2006.
"What Firms' Surveys Tell Us about Price-Setting Behavior in the Euro Area,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(3), September.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Druant, Martine & Hernando, Ignacio & Kwapil, Claudia & Landau, Bettina & Loupias, Claire & Martins, Fernando & Matha, Thomas & Sabbatini, Roberto & Stahl, Harald & Stokman, Ad, 2006. "What Firms' Surveys Tell Us about Price-Setting Behavior in the Euro Area," MPRA Paper 808, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Druant, Martine & Hernando, Ignacio & Kwapil, Claudia & Landau, Bettina & Loupias, Claire & Martins, Fernando & Mathä, Thomas Y. & Sabbatini, Roberto & Stahl, Harald & Stokman, Ad C., 2005. "The pricing behaviour of firms in the euro area: new survey evidence," Working Paper Series 0535, European Central Bank.
- Fernando Martins, 2006.
"The Price Setting Behaviour of Portuguese Firms Evidence From Survey Data,"
w200604, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Martins, Fernando, 2005. "The price setting behaviour of Portuguese firms: evidence from survey data," Working Paper Series 0562, European Central Bank.
- Smets, Frank, 2003. "Maintaining price stability: how long is the medium term?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1293-1309, September.
- Hall, Simon & Walsh, Mark & Yates, Anthony, 2000. "Are UK Companies' Prices Sticky?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(3), pages 425-46, July.
- Taylor, John B, 1980.
"Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:31:y:2010:i:2-3:p:123-134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.