Differences in RBV strategic factors and the need to consider opposing factors in turnaround outcomes
The resource-based view-related empirical literature has focused on one-industry-one-focal-resource studies to provide support for its core tenets. We complement that literature with a first empirical analysis of multiple strategic factors, including opposing factors, and covering multiple industries, based on a recent survey of turnaround professionals. We focus on two issues. First, we explore what factor characteristics correlate to differences in the level of impact on firm performance that different types of factors have. Second, we explore the balance between opposing strategic factors (i.e., beneficial versus detrimental factors) relating to which turnaround outcome occurs. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 29 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Jay B. Barney, 1989. "Asset Stocks and Sustained Competitive Advantage: A Comment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1511-1513, December.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-69, June.
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- John R. Graham & Michael L. Lemmon & Jack G. Wolf, 2002. "Does Corporate Diversification Destroy Value?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 695-720, 04.
- Altman, Edward I. & Haldeman, Robert G. & Narayanan, P., 1977. "ZETATM analysis A new model to identify bankruptcy risk of corporations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 29-54, June.
- Almus, Matthias & Nerlinger, Eric A, 1999. "Growth of New Technology-Based Firms: Which Factors Matter?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 141-54, September.
- Vincent L. Barker III, 2001. "Organizational Causes and Strategic Consequences of the Extent of Top Management Team Replacement During Turnaround Attempts," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 235-270, 03.
- Donald C. Hambrick & Richard A. D'Aveni, 1992. "Top Team Deterioration as Part of the Downward Spiral of Large Corporate Bankruptcies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(10), pages 1445-1466, October.
- G. Page West III, 2001. "The Achilles Heel of Firm Strategy: Resource Weaknesses and Distinctive Inadequacies," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 417-442, 05.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Miller, Danny, 1992. "The icarus paradox: How exceptional companies bring about their own downfall," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 24-35.
- Margaret A. Peteraf & Jay B. Barney, 2003. "Unraveling the resource-based tangle," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 309-323.
- Timothy A. Kruse, 2002. "Asset Liquidity and the Determinants of Asset Sales by Poorly Performing Firms," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(4), Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:29:y:2008:i:4:p:337-355. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.