The age-effect of financial indicators as buffers against the liability of newness
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Georgios Fotopoulos & Helen Louri, 2000. "Determinants of Hazard Confronting New Entry: Does Financial Structure Matter?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 17(3), pages 285-300, November.
- Beaulieu, Philip R., 1996. "A note on the role of memory in commercial loan officers' use of accounting and character information," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 515-528, August.
- Ari Hyytinen & Mika Pajarinen, 2007.
"Is The Cost Of Debt Capital Higher For Younger Firms?,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 54(1), pages 55-71, February.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Pajarinen, Mika, 2004. "Is the Cost of Debt Capital Higher for Younger Firms?," Discussion Papers 946, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Almus, Matthias & Nerlinger, Eric A, 1999. "Growth of New Technology-Based Firms: Which Factors Matter?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 141-154, September.
- A. Panno, 2003. "An empirical investigation on the determinants of capital structure: the UK and Italian experience," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 97-112.
- Harvey Leibenstein, 1969. "Organizational or Frictional Equilibria, X-Efficiency, and the Rate of Innovation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 83(4), pages 600-623.
- Winborg, Joakim & Landstrom, Hans, 2001. "Financial bootstrapping in small businesses: Examining small business managers' resource acquisition behaviors," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 235-254, May.
- Scott Shane & Toby Stuart, 2002. "Organizational Endowments and the Performance of University Start-ups," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 154-170, January.
- Venkataraman, S. & VAN de VEN, Andrew H., 1998. "Hostile environmental jolts, transaction set, and new business," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 231-255, May.
- Warner, Jerold B, 1977. "Bankruptcy Costs: Some Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 337-347, May.
- Levinthal, D.A. & Fichman, M., 1991. "Honeymoons and the Liability of Adolescence : A New Perspective on Duration Dependence in Social Organizational Relationships," GSIA Working Papers 1991-34, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Baker, Ted, 2007. "Resources in play: Bricolage in the Toy Store(y)," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 694-711, September.
- Harald Strotmann, 2007. "Entrepreneurial Survival," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 87-104, January.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-329, May.
- Opler, Tim C & Titman, Sheridan, 1994. " Financial Distress and Corporate Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 1015-1040, July.
- Honjo, Yuji, 2000. "Business failure of new firms: an empirical analysis using a multiplicative hazards model," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 557-574, May.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, September.
- Julian Franks & Oren Sussman, 2005. "Financial Distress and Bank Restructuring of Small to Medium Size UK Companies," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 65-96, March.
- Shumway, Tyler, 2001. "Forecasting Bankruptcy More Accurately: A Simple Hazard Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 101-124, January.
- repec:bla:joares:v:18:y:1980:i:1:p:109-131 is not listed on IDEAS
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411-411.
- Gordon M Phillips & Vojislav Maksimovic, 1996. "Efficiency of Bankrupt Firms and Industry Conditions: Theory and Evidence," Working Papers 96-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Shepherd, Dean A. & Douglas, Evan J. & Shanley, Mark, 2000. "New venture survival: Ignorance, external shocks, and risk reduction strategies," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 393-410.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:iburev:v:26:y:2017:i:5:p:867-880 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:tefoso:v:122:y:2017:i:c:p:186-195 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ashraf, Quamrul & Gershman, Boris & Howitt, Peter, 2017.
"Banks, market organization, and macroeconomic performance: An agent-based computational analysis,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 135(C), pages 143-180.
- Quamrul Ashraf & Boris Gershman & Peter Howitt, 2011. "Banks, Market Organization, and Macroeconomic Performance: An Agent-Based Computational Analysis," Department of Economics Working Papers 2011-03, Department of Economics, Williams College, revised Sep 2016.
- Quamrul Ashraf & Boris Gershman & Peter Howitt, 2015. "Banks, Market Organization, and Macroeconomic Performance: An Agent-Based Computational Analysis," Working Papers 2015-10, American University, Department of Economics.
- Quamrul Ashraf & Boris Gershman & Peter Howitt, 2011. "Banks, Market Organization, and Macroeconomic Performance: An Agent-Based Computational Analysis," NBER Working Papers 17102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Quamrul Ashraf & Boris Gershman & Peter Howitt, 2011. "Banks, Market Organization, and Macroeconomic Performance: An Agent-Based Computational Analysis," Center for Development Economics 2011-06, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Fisher, Greg & Kuratko, Donald F. & Bloodgood, James M. & Hornsby, Jeffrey S., 2017. "Legitimate to whom? The challenge of audience diversity and new venture legitimacy," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 52-71.
- Grichnik, Dietmar & Brinckmann, Jan & Singh, Luv & Manigart, Sophie, 2014. "Beyond environmental scarcity: Human and social capital as driving forces of bootstrapping activities," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 310-326.
- repec:elg:eechap:15413_1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Florian Überbacher, 2014. "Legitimation of New Ventures: A Review and Research Programme," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 667-698, June.
- En Xie & Yuanyuan Huang & Hao Shen & Yu Li, 2017. "Performance implications of ties to large-scale state-owned enterprises and banks in an emerging economy," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 97-121, March.
- Alex Coad & Julian S. Frankish & Richard G. Roberts & David J. Storey, 2016. "Predicting new venture survival and growth: Does the fog lift?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 217-241, June.
- van Werven, Ruben & Bouwmeester, Onno & Cornelissen, Joep P., 2015. "The power of arguments: How entrepreneurs convince stakeholders of the legitimate distinctiveness of their ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 616-631.
- Wafa N. Almobaireek & Ahmed A. Alshumaimeri & Tatiana S. Manolova, 2016. "Building entrepreneurial inter-firm networks in an emerging economy: the role of cognitive legitimacy," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 87-114, March.
- Vinit Parida & Tom Lahti & Joakim Wincent, 2016. "Exploration and exploitation and firm performance variability: a study of ambidexterity in entrepreneurial firms," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 1147-1164, December.
- Yang, Tiantian & Aldrich, Howard E., 2012. "Out of sight but not out of mind: Why failure to account for left truncation biases research on failure rates," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 477-492.
- Anderson, Brian S. & Eshima, Yoshihiro, 2013. "The influence of firm age and intangible resources on the relationship between entrepreneurial orientation and firm growth among Japanese SMEs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 413-429.
- T. Vanacker & S. Manigart & M. Meuleman & L. Sels, 2011. "Bootstrapping as a Resource Dependence Management Strategy and its Association with Startup Growth," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/740, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Wennberg, Karl & Delmar, Frédéric & McKelvie, Alexander, 2016.
"Variable risk preferences in new firm growth and survival,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 408-427.
- Wennberg, Karl & Delmar, Frédéric & McKelvie, Alexander, 2016. "Variable Risk Preferences in New Firm Growth and Survival," Ratio Working Papers 272, The Ratio Institute.
- repec:spr:manint:v:57:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s11575-016-0292-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hai Guo & Jintong Tang & Zhongfeng Su, 2014. "To be different, or to be the same? The interactive effect of organizational regulatory legitimacy and entrepreneurial orientation on new venture performance," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 665-685, September.
- Colin C. Williams & Alvaro Martinez-Perez, 2016. "Evaluating the impacts of corruption on firm performance in developing economies: an institutional perspective," International Journal of Business and Globalisation, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 16(4), pages 401-422.
More about this item
KeywordsLiabilities of newness Financial indicators Business failure;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbvent:v:25:y:2010:i:4:p:423-437. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusvent .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.